Mysterious deaths among fish?

Homxer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2018
What are your water test results?

Only feeding a single novo tab in the evening? Doesn't sound like enough for your bottom feeders.
Forgot to add that I add an algae water at night aswell, but fish store recommend for my amount of fish I feed in morning and use a supplementry food at night (novo tab)

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
So, 2 of the 15 new fish died after 2 weeks? And a guppy. But the guppy death was different.

It could be the fish weren't in great shape when you got them. I don't want to suggest it's a disease or parasite, although that's possible, since there really doesn't seem a lot of data.

Could be 2 poor health new fish and a completely separate guppy death.

Pictures of any other fish that look sick or actually die might help a lot.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Your parameters are fine. My guess is that you didn't quarantine the newbies and you are paying the price now. They've introduced something to your tank.

Reactions: Davidiator

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would also bet, you didn't quarantine the new fish, and one or a few may have been disease carriers which is spreading throughout the tank.
Could be anything from a bacterial, fungal or viral infection, .
If bacterial if your temp is 82'F or above, this could be making it more virulent.
If its viral, no medication is effective.
And if bacterial you may need something antibiotic, but antibiotics are usually specific to certain types of bacteria, you would need to know if the bacteria is gram - or gram + before choosing a medication.
Where did the new fish come from?

Reactions: Drstrangelove

Homxer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2018
I would also bet, you didn't quarantine the new fish, and one or a few may have been disease carriers which is spreading throughout the tank.
Could be anything from a bacterial, fungal or viral infection, .
If bacterial if your temp is 82'F or above, this could be making it more virulent.
If its viral, no medication is effective.
And if bacterial you may need something antibiotic, but antibiotics are usually specific to certain types of bacteria, you would need to know if the bacteria is gram - or gram + before choosing a medication.
Where did the new fish come from?
They came from my LFS and they quarantine there fish there and say I don’t need to so I just thought it all be ok. I did phone them and they said there are a number of factors including my normal house hold habits like closing the door loudly or stomping feet, even treating my dogs with medication could apparently be lethal to all my fish. Really is just so strange to what’s killing them, could supposedly even be stress even though they are all compatible fish

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
The LFS saying they "quarantined" the fish likely means they are putting the fish they receive from their distributor/wholesaler in a quarantine tank for a period before introducing them to their display tanks.

It is highly recommended that you should do the same for the fish you buy or collect. Have a second tank that doesn't share any filtration with the main tank (doesnt need to be fancy, just needs to be a safe isolated tank that meets the needs of your fish and allows you to observe them)

Hope this helps

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A LFS quarantine is not a real quarantine, and you stomping feet, or closing a door is BS, unless what you do makes them jump out of the tank.
And when you quarantine it is not just about what the new fish could have.
Any fish you have already could built a semi- immunity to certain things in your tank, that the new fish haven't resistance to. I quarantine any new fish in a separate tank for about 3 months before adding to a mixed community, and each day I add some water from the tank they will be placed in, so they get acclimated to the population of bacteria, and water parameters they will be exposed to, albeit slowly, and hopefully also build up whatever immunity is required. The 3 months also give me time to observe, and allow any bacteria or other malady to manifest itself. It can take time for bacteria to build up an infectious population, and appear to our naked eye.
But in the confines of a tank, all it takes is one infected individual to bring an epidemic in only a short time. I skipped time in a quarantine some years back, and this is what happened.

Since that time, I always do the entire 3 months, even though I wa able to successfully treat them. But ick is easy, some other bacterial diseases are not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drstrangelove

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
They came from my LFS and they quarantine there fish there and say I don’t need to so I just thought it all be ok. I did phone them and they said there are a number of factors including my normal house hold habits like closing the door loudly or stomping feet, even treating my dogs with medication could apparently be lethal to all my fish. Really is just so strange to what’s killing them, could supposedly even be stress even though they are all compatible fish
NEVER EVER trust a pet store. They may quarantine the fish for a day and say they quarantined it... And if they can get the fish to survive at your house for week then your fish dies you have to buy more fish what does that mean? More $ in their wallet.

Reactions: BalaBabu

BalaBabu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
India
As others pointed out, Its always good to quarantine the fishes from our side before introducing them to the tank and I may be wrong here but if you are using soil or sand, make sure its not creating any anaerobic condition.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store