Mysterious White Spots on Electric Eel’s Head.

Electrofunk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2023
So about a week ago I noticed some small white spots on my electric eel. So I turned up the temp of his tank and began treating it with API super ick away because it was the only thing I could find on short notice being in a rural area and all. But anyways here it is about a week later and I have noticed the spots haven’t gotten any worse but also haven’t gotten any better at the same time. Do any of you guys know what may be going on with this fish? If so, do you have any recommendations on what I can use to treat it properly? The first pic is the fish tonight after I fed him, and the first one is from when I first noticed the spotting.

IMG_4569.jpeg

IMG_4474.jpeg

Electrofunk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2023
Also, since I forgot to mention it in the first post, the spots seem to be localized to his head and nowhere else on his body.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
jjohnwm jjohnwm kno4te kno4te
It does look like ich, but it is weird it’s localized only on the head.
Did you remove carbon while treating?

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Although it does look like similar to the appearance of ick, being limited to the head area seems odd, and suspicious. I would not eliminate the possibility of being something else, possibly entirely different. I suggest reading up on the biology of this type of electric eels.

What if there was something akin to the type of white nodules developed by male goldfish on the opercula and preopercula, sometimes extending to much of the head. This is a seasonal appearance that simply means they are mature and ready. I am not at all saying that’s what’s going on, but ick is usually not restricted to a certain part of the fish

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Good close up would help but I’d guess ich or external parasites of some sort. Try some paragaurd.

Reactions: tlindsey

Electrofunk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2023
jjohnwm jjohnwm kno4te kno4te
It does look like ich, but it is weird it’s localized only on the head.
Did you remove carbon while treating?
Yeah I removed the carbon, and since it’s a scales fish I’ve been using half the recommended dosage.

Although it does look like similar to the appearance of ick, being limited to the head area seems odd, and suspicious. I would not eliminate the possibility of being something else, possibly entirely different. I suggest reading up on the biology of this type of electric eels.

What if there was something akin to the type of white nodules developed by male goldfish on the opercula and preopercula, sometimes extending to much of the head. This is a seasonal appearance that simply means they are mature and ready. I am not at all saying that’s what’s going on, but ick is usually not restricted to a certain part of the fish
This dude is nowhere near breeding age, he’s only six inches at most.
Good close up would help but I’d guess ich or external parasites of some sort. Try some paragaurd.
Gonna go to a fish store tomorrow that has some decent meds in stock. Would have went today but they are only open like three days a week for some reason.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d try the paragaurd.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
How is the fish doing? Behavior changes, activity, etc. Also, is it still limited to the head area?
I am no expert on eels or on ick but I don’t believe that is ick. Hopefully you will soon arrive at a good resolution or understanding.

Electrofunk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2023
I’d try the paragaurd.
Just ordered some Paraguard since the super ick cure isn’t doing anything.
How is the fish doing? Behavior changes, activity, etc. Also, is it still limited to the head area?
I am no expert on eels or on ick but I don’t believe that is ick. Hopefully you will soon arrive at a good resolution or understanding.
The fish itself is doing fine, no behavior changes and just as voracious as ever.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store