Mystery snail breeding and calcium

TipStylez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
Seattle
Will these guys live in sand?

Cause i dumped in about 30 pond snails and ramhorns in one of my tanks with fine sand as gravel. None made it cause they couldnt craw on it...or my catfish ate them...dont know haha.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
His biggest fish in that tank would have been 7".Don't ask me what type I'm not an african expert.American cichlids do it for me.Usually the fish left them alone ,a couple of times I saw one nudge a snail ,the snail would just drop off the glass to the bottom but would soon be going again.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Remember that sand is a natural substrate in ponds, etc, so I think it is very likely your catfish ate them. Many catfishes do this, to begin with. What kind of cats were they? They are also sensitive to water quality.

Green - Interesting about the Cichlids. You aren't the first to say that Africans didn't bother the snails... HMMMM... American Cichlids do it for me, too - and they do bother snails big time! lol

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
santoury;737987; said:
Green - Interesting about the Cichlids. You aren't the first to say that Africans didn't bother the snails... HMMMM... American Cichlids do it for me, too - and they do bother snails big time! lol
I agree,I couldn,t see them lasting long with americans.My mate finds it hard to believe that I can't mix fish like he can.His tanks are real communities in a confined area compared to an American setup.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Ramshorns are very tough snails. They do need a good amount of trace elements in the water though.

TipStylez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
Seattle
I got a Striped Raphael Cat, i know they eat snails in the wild so my bet is on him.

And the other is a Pictus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store