Mystery Snails

Angela94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2011
TX
Many people believe that mystery snails are a waste of money because they think that the snails will die right away. However, that is wrong! I purchased two mystery snails a year ago when they were just tiny little snails, but now they are 3inches! I find that they are very fun to watch, and I had a good time creating the perfect environment for them. I feed them algae pellets which they love. Its cool to see them eating. Whats your experience with mystery snails? :)

Reactions: The Dave

matt_bee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
Glasgow
I haven't had any experience with them to be honest. They look pretty cool though after seeing what they look like on google! If they keep you interested watching them then they're well worth keeping.

You should post a pic of them, I'd like to see them!

GhostShrimpMan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
Brownsville, Texas
I've recently done research on some as I have picked up two as well. I read somewhere that they usually die after a year because they "burn out." Because where they come from the water evaporates in their ponds and they "hibernate" in mud, this allows them to recharge.

Have you done any research? I'm not sure whether this is true or not, maybe I was reading one on apple snails instead..

GhostShrimpMan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
Brownsville, Texas
Found it, might help us keep our snails alive longer. :D

<Greetings. Your Pomacea is likely attempting to aestivate, i.e., to enter its normal resting phase. In the wild, Apple snails live a life that involves a few months of dormancy each year. The reason they don't survive in tropical aquaria for more than a year is because aquarists deny them this. Kept active for more than 12 months they usually "burn out". So what should you do? Ideally, you'd remove the snail, place it in a container with some wet mud, and let it snooze for at least a month somewhere, taking care that it (and the mud) stayed damp. You could then try and wake the snail up by placing the snail in a bucket and partially covering it with water from the aquarium. Don't cover it with water or throw it into the aquarium just yet, or it will drown! If the snail starts moving about (this may take some hours, because it's in "suspended animation") you're good to go, and can put the snail in the aquarium. The alternative is to leave the snail in your aquarium even though its resting. Sometimes this does no harm, but sooner or later, Apple snails do die when kept going all the time, which is why you never see the full sized (tennis ball sized!) specimens in pet shops or home aquaria. By the way, your pH variations are insanely dangerous, and need to be looked into. Remember, one "step" on the pH scale means a ten-fold increase in acidity or alkalinity. So while 6.8 to 7.4 doesn't sound much, it's actually a huge change, and quite possibly one that is stressful to your fish and snails. Review the carbonate hardness of the water, and check that you're doing sufficient water changes to dilute the nitrate and organic acids in the water. A 10-gallon tank is really too small for Danios, so I'm concerned you have an overstocked, under-filtered system. Cheers, Neale.>

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store