xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
I collected this small, silvery fish in a brackish river (near the Chesapeake Bay) in Virginia. I would estimate it is about 1-2", and is likely a juvenile of whatever species it belongs to. Seems to be a bottom dweller in nature, though swims in the middle too. Very active and seems to be tolerant of warm temperatures. I assume it is some kind of perciform, as it somewhat resembles a cichlid. However, I am uncertain as to what this actually is. Can anyone ID this fish?
Screenshot 2023-05-14 4.18.09 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-05-14 4.18.28 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-05-14 4.18.44 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-05-14 4.19.12 PM.png

I also obtained this stunning juvenile Prionotus carolinus (sea robin)!
Screenshot 2023-05-14 4.19.27 PM.png

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
Lovely sea robin! How are they in captivity?
Also, good to see you back on the forum again! It's been a hot minute since you were active. Any plans to start another FOTD thread?
Can't say I've seen a fish similar to the one in the pictures; Google isn't yielding any results, either. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Reactions: xenacanth9

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Lovely sea robin! How are they in captivity?
Also, good to see you back on the forum again! It's been a hot minute since you were active. Any plans to start another FOTD thread?
Can't say I've seen a fish similar to the one in the pictures; Google isn't yielding any results, either. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.
It's been around a week, and every new fish (including the sea robin) is doing well. This is the first time I have kept a sea robin species, and I would say it isn't giving me too much trouble. Mostly stays in the sand. I would over all describe their care level as moderate, but this is also my first time, as previously mentioned.

About FOTD, I might possibly bring that back soon for a limited run, and, in fact, I did contact an admin about possibly reopening the thread. However, I haven't heard back on that yet. The future of that thread is uncertain at the moment, but I have made a couple new profiles that I may release some day

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store