Natives?

OK PLAY3R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2016
FL
I recently returned two Severums to my LFS because I rushed my tanks cycling...silly me. So I have an empty 75 gallon tank ready for fish in a two or three weeks, and natives crossed my mind.

I live in South West Florida and was wondering about catching natives for my tank. Any advice or species I should keep my eye out for?

I researched a bunch of sites and read threads on this but I'd love to hear about your experiences!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Lots of great species in Florida for a 75 gallon! Depending on where you live, the Florida springs provide a great option for a biotope tank. Either with larger species such as Lepomis Sunfish, Crappie, Bullheads, etc or smaller ones like the dozens of local Killifish species such as Bluefins and Rainwaters, Coastal and Golden Shiners, Sailfin Mollies, and several species of Darters.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Natives are great. Hardy, disease resistant (in my experience) and most have a good personality. I'd be careful though since your state has some stringent laws on the books about wildlife. Do some research or contact a CO for your state's conservation dept and ask what the laws on keeping non-protected natives are.

OK PLAY3R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2016
FL
What area do you live in? Most parts of the country have sunfish and the eastern states are packed with darters.
West Florida/Pinellas County
I had what I assume to be a blue gill but let it go because tank wasn't cycled. It's ready now and can't catch anything! Nearest decent source of fishing from what I hear is Lake Tarpon 40 minutes one way

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
West Florida/Pinellas County
I had what I assume to be a blue gill but let it go because tank wasn't cycled. It's ready now and can't catch anything! Nearest decent source of fishing from what I hear is Lake Tarpon 40 minutes one way
There should be lots of cool species down there. To my knowledge there's at least half a dozen Lepomis Sunfish species in your area and probably quite a few darters as well. Perhaps wait for warmer weather? Then again, it's always warm down there haha.

OK PLAY3R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2016
FL
There should be lots of cool species down there. To my knowledge there's at least half a dozen Lepomis Sunfish species in your area and probably quite a few darters as well. Perhaps wait for warmer weather? Then again, it's always warm down there haha.
It's more of a learning curve I believe. I'm very adept when it comes to hauling in Saltwater fish. Just recently started fishing the canals and lakes by me. Not doing so well this far, perhaps my luck will change soon!! I've been holding back on buying a big fat Jaguar Cichlid from my LFS because I think some of the natives would give me more satisfaction than a tropical. It's been hard holding back though, especially on some of these Wolf Fish and Gobies that have been coming in. Having an empty 75 oh the options seem limitless!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store