South Louisiana
Bartoni? Labridens? HRP's?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I had a pair of Nosferatu bartoni, that I kept in a 100 gal,where they spawned 3 times copasetically, both parents raising broods together, no problems. After the 3rd spawn, I gave them to a fellow aquarium club member, who put them in a 55 gal. Within 24 hours the female was dead. Of course there may have been extenuating circumstances, but I believe cichlids need much more space than the conventional aquarium practice suggests as adequate.

Reactions: Diogenes

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
I know they aren't cichlids, but I'll just toss out the idea of a male Green sunfish. One would be perfect in that tank and has an Oscar like personality.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I had a pair of Nosferatu bartoni, that I kept in a 100 gal,where they spawned 3 times copasetically, both parents raising broods together, no problems. After the 3rd spawn, I gave them to a fellow aquarium club member, who put them in a 55 gal. Within 24 hours the female was dead. Of course there may have been extenuating circumstances, but I believe cichlids need much more space than the conventional aquarium practice suggests as adequate.
Preaching to the choir. If I wanted an 8-10 inch cichlid, I'd plan on a 6 foot tank. Sajica might go in a 55, but that's pushing it, too--and they're like 4 inch fish? A 55 gallon tank is very small.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree about the sajica, my male was easily 6", and again almost that tall. Although the female might have tolerated a tank as small as a 40, it would have been quite cramped for the male.

I kept a group of 6 HRPs in a 45, and that worked well until a pair spawned and started aggressively bullying the others.

Reactions: adamsfishes

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
I have seen a somewhat adult female festae...which is why I also doubt the tank would be sufficient long term.

Cubans are one I have thought of that need further review, my only qualm is it may look similar to my Jag. Now the labridens is a really great suggestion as well I really do like their color. To be clear I only want 1 solo fish not a pair or anything else in there. Just a solo pet so aggression toward other fish isn't an issue. Sunfish is an interesting suggestion, I really like sunfish however I will have to do some additional research on keeping them in an aquarium.

Reactions: Montelboom

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
What about a female Freddy or Loisellei? From all I have read females don't really get over 8" and have typical Parachromis owner response....so one of these would really fit my bill of an attractive "wet pet".

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
What about a female Freddy or Loisellei? From all I have read females don't really get over 8" and have typical Parachromis owner response....so one of these would really fit my bill of an attractive "wet pet".
It really just doesn't feel right to me to keep that large of a fish in that small of a tank, I think most people on this forum would agree with me. What about a green spotted puffer maybe? A 40 seems small for one of them too though..

Reactions: ehh

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
It really just doesn't feel right to me to keep that large of a fish in that small of a tank, I think most people on this forum would agree with me. What about a green spotted puffer maybe? A 40 seems small for one of them too though..
I completely agree with you on tank size.
A green spotted puffer would need salt but a south American puffer would work in fresh water.Even these I would like to see in a 55 or bigger.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I always wanted to raise some Mesonauta Festivus, you could name them the Costanzas

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store