~Need a good Fry eater~

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
my jack works great! he can eat con babies up to like 3/4in!
I have a Jack dempsey too, in another tank of course and he is about 4-5 inches and a big Sissy. He won't stand up to any fish and prefers to hide in his cave the majority of the time. I've tried giving him feeders along with the large Severum he lives with but these fish are slow and not good predators, they let the young mollies swim around the tank for days!

I guess you got lucky with your Jack!

That's a beautiful fish! Where are you located? Would you be interested in shipping some? I just happen to have a 46 gallon empty right now, and I've always wanted a brackish tank.
Thank you for the offer. Although I don't know how to really ship fish safely and it may be too far for them to travel...I am located in Texas. Thank you so much for considering but I probably wont be able to ship them unfortunately.

how about wasp fish/ butterfly goby is the perfect fish it stays small preditory kind of cool lookin and is brackish
Hmm...Never heard of such a fish! I learn something new everyday!:D I'll research about these Wasp/Butterfly gobies.

I wish I knew what to do with the many, many older mollies I have. It's just a bad deal to have so many and turn out nobody wants them. I just visited that same petstore this past weekend after delivering a dozen baby angelfish there and saw my own mollies were still there. Maybe a few of them were gone (don't know if that was from or disease though..:( ) They just dont sell. I they were colorful they might or if I just had the brilliant giant-sailed males they might.

Thanks everyone and keep those suggestions going!

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
really i've never heard that about a jack befor hmm mine slams feeders or anything she loves crawdads she just rips them up but wasp fish are small get like 3'' need atleast one teaspoon of salt per gallon eats worms blood/earth work fine brine shrimp are always tacken and of course small fish
heres a pic from aqualandpetsplus.com
they really can sting you seen it happen to an un knowing pet store worker she was trying to move it to clean the tank and owwwww that thing bit me i just laughed

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
wasp fish are small get like 3'' need atleast one teaspoon of salt per gallon eats worms blood/earth work fine brine shrimp are always tacken and of course small fish
Thank you for the photo! I just researched about these little guys, I didn't know they could actually "STING!" weird! They do sound decent but I wonder how pricey they would be should I ever run across one? I would love to have more brackish fish, there are so many interesting species.

I just had to sweep out all the fry today with a net and give them to all my other fish. I feel so horribly horrible doing that :( Sorry, I don't like the idea of having to harm my own little critters. I feel sorry for them... Anyway, I think my plan may end up having to be this--

Move all 7 Female Sailfins into 75GALLON aquarium community tank. Yes it will be freshwater which I cringe at because I worry I may end up with problems with sickness when the mollies are in freshwater.
*Then keep all Male sailfins together in the brackish tank.

*The 75gallon community are peaceful fish in general but are vicious predators when there is a little fry around. Lots of barbs and big tetras plus a pair of Angelfish, but I'm going to have do something with them since they are beating on each-other, they are a pair and frequently spawn in this tank as well.

Anyway, I think that may have to be my plan. With the rate babies are being born here, I may have to just do that. The thing is, if these mollies which were labeled originally "San antonio river mollies" and I know for the a fact they do occur in the San antonio river, they must be alright in freshwater... I think I may try it. I've done it before for a short while too...

I still welcome any suggestions from you all! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store