~Need a good Fry eater~

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
Mimmichogs are North American native killifish, Fundulus heteroclitis. I was able to buy mine off Aquabid but in some areas in the south & southeast they are used as bait!
They're not very brilliantly colored fish but if you're into out-of-the-ordinary or can appreciate natural beauty they can definitely be gems. They're much like mollies in eating habits, temperament, adult size and color.
Males get some nice colors to them, a base olive/brown/black color with gold flecks and stripes. Females are dull in comparison but have some attitudes on them!
This was my male at 3.5"

You could opt for one or two of these even! They're voracious fish. Always on the lookout for food. Oh jeez, and I'd almost forgotten all about the time one of the mummies jumped into a breeder net I had hanging in the tank that contained some 1.5" Fundulus sp. juvies and ate them all.
Imagine my surprise when i woke up one morning to check on the little ones and found one incredibly fat mummi staring back at me. :eek:

BBG is an abbreviation for Bumblebee Goby.
Cute little buggers! Loads of attitude for such little fish. I've heard lots of bad stuff about them, being highly aggressive, territorial, even nippy. Mine were territorial to a point. Never nasty.
This is a pic of one chasing another off his fave banana plant leaf.

I forgot to list my F8 puffer in the stock for the 40. Probably my fave fish of them all. You might try one of those too!
Heck, if you're gonna upgrade anyway, why not? :D

If you're interested you can see some pics of that set-up and fish.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/straitjacketstar/Tanks/40GL Brackish/3-8-06163-40BrackA.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y2...nks/40GL Brackish/1-11-06066-40gBrackish2.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y2...ckish/Etroplus maculatus Red/1-11-06208-E.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y2...togobius sadanundio/9-21-05332-KnightGoby.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y2...ackish/Tetraodon biocellatus/2-5-06237-F8.jpg

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
WOW! straitjacketstar:WHOA: Your tank is so neat! I love your stocking list too! So much variety and interesting fish! Thanks for giving info on the Mummichogs (never heard of them!) they sound really interesting and the BBG (don't know why I couldn't think of the abbreviation for these!!:confused) are so cute and unique. I would love to have a brackish community like yours.

Problem is I can't find any brackish water fish. There is one petstore that stocks unusual/rare fish so I might could check there.

You have such a lovely tank setup with such cool fish! You are lucky!

I am also a fan of pufferfish though I thought they couldn't be kept with other fish because they are fin-nippers? Is this true? Wouldn't want them tearing up all the fish now!

I'd almost forgotten all about the time one of the mummies jumped into a breeder net I had hanging in the tank that contained some 1.5" Fundulus sp. juvies and ate them all.

Imagine my surprise when i woke up one morning to check on the little ones and found one incredibly fat mummi staring back at me.
What a shock that must have been. Never knew fish could be so determined!

leopard ctenopoma or charax
I'll consider these fish too although I'd have to have a seperate tank for them and unfortunately I currently don't have the space in my tanks...yet.

Thanks for all your time and suggestions! I really appreciate it, it's helped a lot and I appreciate anymore comments! I may try to look for some fish this weekend like a knight goby as a fry eater.

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
Thanks. :D
I don't have the tank anymore but I'd love to give brackish another go. Soon. It was a great set-up. My boyfriend loved it as much as I did.

The F8 wasn't aggressive at all. He'd mind his own mostly. F8's (along with SA puffs) would be one of the more peacefull puffers. They still vary in temperament. Not all are so mild-tempered, you still get nippers and ones who just want to dominate everything but mine didn't mind or pester a single fish in the tank so it's still a trial-and error thing housing them with other fish. The only creatures that feared mine were snails. :naughty:
Wasn't all that easy finding my fish either. I didn't get any two species from the same source. I accumulated them from several cities in two counties. A while in the making but well worth it.

Hope yours comes along very well!

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
very nice!

I wonder if a figure 8 puffer would be Ok for my tank. I am tempted to try one.;)

How good are they at hunting little fry?

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
if you dont want to kill them way not try a small pond .

then you could just chuck them in .

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
Yes, I've considered putting the mollies out in a pond. But my attempts have just failed. The first time I tried we had an unexpected frost come through and that was in the springtime. Then the pond started to leak so I had to give it up completely.

I do have an established goldfish pond with lilly pads and other aquatic plants but moving them out when winter comes will be a problem.

loachie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2006
East Coast
That's a beautiful fish! Where are you located? Would you be interested in shipping some? I just happen to have a 46 gallon empty right now, and I've always wanted a brackish tank.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
how about wasp fish/ butterfly goby is the perfect fish it stays small preditory kind of cool lookin and is brackish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store