Need a id on this turtle...

Monsterknan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2015
Syracuse
Agreed on the Chinese soft shell , it'll eat any fish that fit inside it's mouth and probably end up hanging off the tail of that gar if it doesn't bend it in half first :(
So keep a very very close eye on things in that setup ;)
Thank you for the info. I am going to be moving the turtle to a different tank soon.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
It's some species of softshell and it also looks to have some sort of infection on it's shell.
Agreed with Krichardson its a softshell of some sort, maybe a Chinese.
Agreed on the Chinese soft shell , it'll eat any fish that fit inside it's mouth and probably end up hanging off the tail of that gar if it doesn't bend it in half first :(
So keep a very very close eye on things in that setup ;)
You guys got this I'm going back on break LOL I'm more of a snake and crocodile-guy anyway :p
Infection is healing quickly. Was so much worse. Had bad infections around its claws also that have cleared up. Was on ice in a mesh bag when it was found.
that's appalling....I assume it was going to be butchered for meat? At that temperature, it's likely a bacterial infection. Good job on the rescue, keep us updated as he improves. He will certainly eat anything that can fit in his mouth, highly carnivorous and very aggressive. Give him a basking spot around 90F, he might use it and he might not, Softshells, like Snappers are highly-aquatic and very seldom come to shore, but they still ne the option for the new scales/scutes/skin to harden/dry after a shedding or bacterial infection sets in and will kill them. Ask TroyMIfishkeeper TroyMIfishkeeper or reptilerancher reptilerancher , they are both good with/own aquatic turtles. I'm sure they can addd some stuff to this thread

Reactions: tlindsey

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Agreed, I'd say Chinese Softshell. Good job rescuing it, turtles must taste pretty great because they're ridiculously popular over in Asia. From the sound of it that infection was probably just caused by bad living conditions, you'll have to see whether or not they continue to clear up.
I've personally never kept softshells, but I do know that they will go after basically any fish... I've learned the hard way that mixing turtles with fish isn't really as cool as it sounds. The only things I keep my turtles with are natives, feeders, and other turtles, and I always assume that eventually the fish will get eaten. So yeah, definitely give him his own tank.
I also know that softshells tend to be pretty nasty... I doubt Chinese softies could be worse than Florida softshells or spiny softshells, so you'll have to find out for yourself (some turtles, like snappers, can be tamed to a certain extent, but it really just depends on the turtle). As long as you don't have to handle him a lot it's not really a big deal.
It's up to you if you want to give them a basking area. Right now it would probably be ideal because he/she will want to dry out to get rid of some of the bacteria, it will also help it shed some skin. However, for species that very rarely bask, I usually just give them a flat rock or something for them to sit on just below the surface, so they're still submerged but can at least stretch their neck up and get some heat if they want.
As for feeding, well, turtles will normally take whatever you give them after a while. Shrimp, scallops, earthworms, tilapia, bloodworms... The list goes on and on. If you want to go pellets, I'd recommend Mazuri, Omega One, or Reptomin. IIRC softshells are mainly carnivorous, but you'd probably want to try and mix some veggies in there as well. As for live foods, I wouldn't even bother with goldfish or rosies, guppies are good if you can get them but wild caught minnows and CRUSTACEANS are great. Snails are also a nice treat, some turtles take to them, some don't.
Make sure to provide UVB lighting & vitamin supplements. I used to just use calcium blocks, but I learned the hard way that isn't really enough. Keep us posted on how the turtle is doing!

Reactions: Frank Castle

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
I agree with everything said so far and it really dose just depends on the turtle and its personality. I have a snapper that will not eat any live fish because he's to lazy to chase them and a friend of mine had a red foot tortoise that would try to eat any living thing in its enclosure from bugs to frogs to mice it was blood thirsty.

if its a skin infection I would give him a place to dry out and once a day give a salt water bath until it is completely gone. reptiles can be both incredibly tuff and delicate at the same time as long as you keep the water warm and clean it should do fine. also if it eats it will more then likely pull through just fine.

as far as basking goes I recommend a large mass of floating plants/fake plants under a UVB and a heat lamp. something where the softy can sit on the surface without swimming and if it feels threatened it can just dive into it and hide.

any questions feel free to ask

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
O Oompa Loompa - anything to add?
Definitely a chinese softshell, and IMO shouldn't be kept in glass tanks. They get pretty big and can be active, softshells should really be kept in large, round stock tanks. Again, this is my personal opinion, however softshells can get pretty big. Kudos to you for rescuing him though!

And I'd watch that gar too, one of the two won't last long and with the gar at that size, I think the turtle's going to be the winner. Don't want to be "that guy" and derail this thread but... any plans for the gator gar?

PS I hope you're not too attached to those serpaes either ;)

Monsterknan

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2015
Syracuse
Definitely a chinese softshell, and IMO shouldn't be kept in glass tanks. They get pretty big and can be active, softshells should really be kept in large, round stock tanks. Again, this is my personal opinion, however softshells can get pretty big. Kudos to you for rescuing him though!

And I'd watch that gar too, one of the two won't last long and with the gar at that size, I think the turtle's going to be the winner. Don't want to be "that guy" and derail this thread but... any plans for the gator gar?

PS I hope you're not too attached to those serpaes either ;)
Sorry for being absent I have been working on sealing my basement..lol haha. So much fun. I have a large Rubbermaid tub tank whatever you want to call it for the turtle. I never expected to get one but love how active he is. I have a large floating drift wood he hangs out on. I have him feeding on blood worms and silver sides right now. The gar came from a friend who had a tank Crack. Kind was forced on me. Either way they will be separated in the next few days.
The tetras I grabbed for the turtle to. Chase because I had no idea what he would eat. Shows little interest in any of the fish. Takes the silvers ides off a feeding stick and digs through the sand for blood worms. Thanks again for all the posts. This is why I love this community.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Sorry for being absent I have been working on sealing my basement..lol haha. So much fun. I have a large Rubbermaid tub tank whatever you want to call it for the turtle. I never expected to get one but love how active he is. I have a large floating drift wood he hangs out on. I have him feeding on blood worms and silver sides right now. The gar came from a friend who had a tank Crack. Kind was forced on me. Either way they will be separated in the next few days.
The tetras I grabbed for the turtle to. Chase because I had no idea what he would eat. Shows little interest in any of the fish. Takes the silvers ides off a feeding stick and digs through the sand for blood worms. Thanks again for all the posts. This is why I love this community.
Cool, man....nice job on everything. Stick arouunnd, don't be a stranger on MFK :D We like reptiles ad amphibians here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store