Need advice regarding Hair Algae

jimclassic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2017
Hello All,

I have bought some hair algae as my Shrimp got eggs. Unfortunately that Shrimp died before the eggs could hatch. So could anyone tell whether hair algaes are good to be kept in fish tank(I had kept that in separate bowl for shrimps). I am not sure whether hair algae can make the tank dirty but some people advise not to encourage algae growth in tank. I have Parrot cichlids and some other tetra in the tank.

Please advise.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Did you buy hair algae or java moss? I'm guessing it's java moss because I have never heard of anybody selling hair algae. If you did get java moss, it isn't an algae and it provides a lot of shelter for baby fish and shrimp and it gives them a lot of surfaces to pick at!

jimclassic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2017
Did you buy hair algae or java moss? I'm guessing it's java moss because I have never heard of anybody selling hair algae. If you did get java moss, it isn't an algae and it provides a lot of shelter for baby fish and shrimp and it gives them a lot of surfaces to pick at!
It is not a Java Moss, its hair algae :). Attaching the pic.

9-green-hair-algae-reu-toc-xanh-2.jpg

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
That is definitely hair algae! Most people don't like it because it makes the tank look dirty. Usually excessive algae means dirty water. However, there's nothing wrong with keeping the algae you bought if you plan to use it or if you like it. Just don't let it get out of control or you will have to buy something to eat it!

Reactions: tlindsey

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thats got to be a first i've heard of... i remember having outbreaks in the past and couldnt wait to get rid of it...

Never ever thought someone would purposely pay for it (no offsense)...

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I have always considered it a nuisance when it occurred, couldn't wait to get rid of it. I don't like it be it depends on your personal taste.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Personally I love it.
Once it takes hold it needs to be trimmed once a week to stop it taking over.
If you can give your tank an influx of natural daylight it will grow very fast.
A tank containing algea does not necessarily mean a dirty tank and it can help sustain a very healthy aquarium.
_20160608_215844.JPG

_20160608_215033.JPG

rucus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2007
Nebraska
WWW.FISHTAILAQUATICS.COM
Personally I love it.
Once it takes hold it needs to be trimmed once a week to stop it taking over.
If you can give your tank an influx of natural daylight it will grow very fast.
A tank containing algea does not necessarily mean a dirty tank and it can help sustain a very healthy aquarium.
View attachment 1289234

View attachment 1289235
What kind of fish are those? Kinda looks like a jewel cichlid but I wasn't sure. Also, is that a livebearer in with them? Beautiful fish and tank. I really like that look.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
What kind of fish are those? Kinda looks like a jewel cichlid but I wasn't sure. Also, is that a livebearer in with them? Beautiful fish and tank. I really like that look.
Thanks.
Fish are thorichthys helleri and the live bearers are a wild strain of swordtail known as rio otapa swordtails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store