Need fast reply, Will discus switch from bloodworms to NLS?

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
if Lg & Medium size discus are used to live & frozen bloodworms, can they be switched over to NLS (or whatever)? or will it be a nightmare failure?
and can they be kept with geos- redheads and mild heckelii?
need fast info, for possible out of town purchase.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Yes they can be but it could be a long process. They seem to take to Hakari Discus Bio-Gold faster if you use that and condition them to eating pellets you can then start to mix in NLS and convert from there. I've done this took about a month to get them from live/frozen to NLS doing this. Geos are too competative in a tank for Discus this has been my experiance. Discus like to graze slowly across the bottom and blow the food off the substrate and eat at a leasurly pace the geos just bulldoze them out of the way and they don't get any food. Agression it's and issue the Discus just can't compete for food.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I kinda wondered about the geos. but afraid my smaller 75G tank would be too small for 5-6 discus of Lg & medium sizes.
?
Ya think?
I have an approx 100G waiting to be fixed up but it won't be fast. I have no stand & it's a flatback hex & it's an odd length.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
so Aquanero, discus and geos can not be kept together- even after discus are eating prepared feeds.?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
IDK they might be alittle tight in there but as long as the water quality is maintaned they'll be fine. You're just going to have to say on top of bi-weekly 50% water changes.

Are you going bare bottom? Not you the tank.....:redface:

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
so Aquanero, discus and geos can not be kept together- even after discus are eating prepared feeds.?
Like I said arrgesion wise they are fine it didn't work for me because the discus are slow deliberate eaters and the geos just swim around sifting and plow the discus out of the way.

Can geos handle discus temps?
I had my tank set at 83 and both were fine as far as temp goes. Domestics are eaiser than wilds, Heckel need warmer water.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
LOL at this point I could forget bottoms, tops- or ANYthing.

well there's not much substrate in the 75 now so I could go BB, ...haven't verified their current ph, to compare with mine.
they would be my first discus & don't want to gamble their well being much.
I don't like to keep fish packed in tight :-/

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Sounds like the perfect excuse for a new 125!

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
this forum is a very bad influence. LL.
"If only" the hex was ready I could things around. dunno exact gallons. its tenecor 63Lx20Wx24H.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store