Need Help ASAP.?.?.

Convict with convicts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2016
Pa
Could be stress from pH if any of the dead were wild caught. I had a wild a few years ago and it stressed easily from pH in the 7 range... But if the tanks that crowded one of the little guys just may have been bullied out of the food chain... Good luck man, I'm not the scream at you cuz your tanks overcrowded type. Just think in your specific case you'd see alot better results with less cons and O's✌

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
if its only your oscars acting strange sounds like a parasite or some thing, you only need one fish with it to pass it to the rest, just i don't know of any thing that would only affect your oscars only

Reactions: Mavrick813

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
Could be stress from pH if any of the dead were wild caught. I had a wild a few years ago and it stressed easily from pH in the 7 range... But if the tanks that crowded one of the little guys just may have been bullied out of the food chain... Good luck man, I'm not the scream at you cuz your tanks overcrowded type. Just think in your specific case you'd see alot better results with less cons and O's✌
I wish it was a singling out due to bullying, but 7 Os in a weeks time all dying in a similar fashion makes me think parasite, or bacteria...

I've kept 6 adult Oscars in a 180 Gallon before with breeding Cons, a Sailfin, 2 Bushynose, and a 13" Pangasius. That tank was up and running for 10 years without any problems. The tank stand started to buckle and during the rebuild process the tank got broken and I lost those fish.

This 265, is my re-entry into the hobby. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that water changes, and over filtration are the keys to keeping massively stocked aquariums... This is just catching me off guard

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
if its only your oscars acting strange sounds like a parasite or some thing, you only need one fish with it to pass it to the rest, just i don't know of any thing that would only affect your oscars only
That's my sentiment, what could possibly be in there that is attacking he Os but leaving the Acaras and Cons alone? I'm under the impression the Acaras are a more sensitive fish?

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
I would say the male con is killing the oscars at night when the lights are out. The convict cihlid in the presence of young are insane. I had a 4 inch male that was breding kill an 8 inch jaguar cichlid in a 125 one time.

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
To me it sounds like aggression.

You don't happen to have any pics of the dead fish do you? I find that to be helpful in some cases.
Negative in the pics. First O looked like a Pleco got on him for a while. The last O that died looked like he was having Swim Bladder issues. And at time of death did have a frayed fin...

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
I would say the male con is killing the oscars at night when the lights are out. The convict cihlid in the presence of young are insane. I had a 4 inch male that was breding kill an 8 inch jaguar cichlid in a 125 one time.
I thought of this but, would have expected more aggression when the eggs were present, or at least when there were Fry. The baby cons are free swimming at this point

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store