need help getting baby arapiama to eat

jackson palaszewsky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2023
i just recently got two baby arapiama’s about 6 days ago ones about 2.5-3 inches other is around 4 and i haven’t been able to get either to eat they’re in a 50 gallon long with two bichirs i’ve tried cut shrimp, cut tilapia, ghost shrimp, guppy fry, blood worms, larva, pellets, and krill they’ll go at the food almost every time but instantly spit it out i’m just not sure what to do at this point

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'd chuck the sticks and only use the liquid test tube tests such as the API. Kudos for you to try so many different things. If I had to guess, something is up with your water, they don't like it. But it's a guess that must be troubleshot and eliminated by you.

I am afraid at this point it is way too late. They will not feed and die. I am saying this because baby pima under 5" are extremely fragile in that they must eat every day to survive. Usually the sender fasts them at least 2 days before shipping, then one whole shipping day, then you get them and it is crucial to get them to eat something right away, same day, because for say a 3" pima it will be too late tomorrow. Such small pima have no reserves to survive more than 2-3 days without feed.

My advice - never buy baby pima under 5", it's too much risk.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
I bought a baby some years ago 5-6" and had the same problem and eventually lost it. I tried every option available to me that I could think of, they wouldn't eat anything. The only thing I didn't have available that I wish I could have tried is live fry of some kind. Any chance u can find someone near u with some tiny fry of some kind?

jackson palaszewsky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2023
I'd chuck the sticks and only use the liquid test tube tests such as the API. Kudos for you to try so many different things. If I had to guess, something is up with your water, they don't like it. But it's a guess that must be troubleshot and eliminated by you.

I am afraid at this point it is way too late. They will not feed and die. I am saying this because baby pima under 5" are extremely fragile in that they must eat every day to survive. Usually the sender fasts them at least 2 days before shipping, then one whole shipping day, then you get them and it is crucial to get them to eat something right away, same day, because for say a 3" pima it will be too late tomorrow. Such small pima have no reserves to survive more than 2-3 days without feed.

My advice - never buy baby pima under 5", it's too much risk.
i actually do use the liquid tests i’m just out and i totally agree they’re way better but the test was showing the same results with the vials a couple days ago so i’m pretty sure the waters ok and damn ok is there any chance they’ll make it if i can get them to eat soon?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

jackson palaszewsky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2023
I bought a baby some years ago 5-6" and had the same problem and eventually lost it. I tried every option available to me that I could think of, they wouldn't eat anything. The only thing I didn't have available that I wish I could have tried is live fry of some kind. Any chance u can find someone near u with some tiny fry of some kind?
yea i tried guppy fry but no luck i’m sure there are plenty of other fry options around me tho if u have any suggestions

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
yea i tried guppy fry but no luck i’m sure there are plenty of other fry options around me tho if u have any suggestions
I don't. I had zero fry options to try, so I don't know if any are a better bet than any others. I have to agree w Victor though, I would never buy another baby. My interest is in full grown pimas eventually anyway, so I would only buy them over 10-12" in the future and if possible larger. Not trying to be negative in any way, but if someone does not plan on housing them for life, then there is not much point in keeping one to me. They grow extremely fast to 3'-4' and are very hard to deal w moving and homing wise at that size. If u do have the facility and desire to house a full grown one, then I only recommend buying at a significantly larger size if possible. Best of luck though man. I was pretty bummed when I couldn't get mine to eat.

jackson palaszewsky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2023
I don't. I had zero fry options to try, so I don't know if any are a better bet than any others. I have to agree w Victor though, I would never buy another baby. My interest is in full grown pimas eventually anyway, so I would only buy them over 10-12" in the future and if possible larger. Not trying to be negative in any way, but if someone does not plan on housing them for life, then there is not much point in keeping one to me. They grow extremely fast to 3'-4' and are very hard to deal w moving and homing wise at that size. If u do have the facility and desire to house a full grown one, then I only recommend buying at a significantly larger size if possible. Best of luck though man. I was pretty bummed when I couldn't get mine to eat.
yea i really rather get a larger one i just couldn’t find any if you know any good breeders or anyone with larger piamas thad be awesome because i’ve only been able to find baby’s no bigger that like 5 inches and i have proper housing for them at just about any size i have a 50 gal, 300 gal, 750 gal pond, and im building a 4 thousand gal above ground pond this week i just don’t like dealing with baby piamas or aros they’re always very problematic when it comes to shipping but i’d really like to have a piama in my pond

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store