Need help, lost at this point… nitrites and expensive fish

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
theyre going into a 10,000 which should last 2-3 years and then a 30’000. And I’m confused you’re saying I cannot have enough filtration for their bio load in the future? I see people with larger stocks of larger fish in smaller spaces than what I have now

I was referring to their continued growth in your 2000g, which isn't sustainable whichever way you look at it.

Your planned future 10000g and 30000g systems are a different story.

Be sure to keep us posted on these future projects, we all love build threads on here. :thumbsup:

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
yes it’s indoors, I live in South Carolina cold winters
i think you Are going to have to rethink your strategy here. You have a feed plan that creates a chum slick in your tank- massive bio load way beyond just what the fish are pooping out. You have a water change schedule that is basically a massive flush each week. Your maintenance cycle and feed program work against each other from a stability standpoint. Not an environment where bacteria will typically flourish. You never get bacteria colonies up to par to deal with the chum slick- they start to grow to deal with it and you flush the system.

you need culture gambusia or convicts as feeders and you need to get the fish on pellets. The intermittent chum slick is going To be a huge challenge until you quit makingthwr mess

Reactions: Ihatemyplatinumgar

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Think of Beneficial Bacteria as a colony of critters and your bio-waste as their food.

As the available food increases, the colony increases. As the available food decreases, the colony decreases. But each change takes time.

If you start out with a "mature" filter, that means you have a colony that eats all the available food/waste. But if you flood the system with extra food/waste, such as adding a bunch of fish, then your colony will need time to grow to deal with the increased food/waste.

Thats all for typical conditions. Now add to that your feeding & maintenance.

After your water change the water is clean, thus there is a shortage of food/waste and your bacteria colony begins to starve. A couple of days later there is food/waste aplenty. But your colony is weak from the onset of starvation. A few days later it has begun to recover, waste/food is in excess and the colony is starting the path to equilibrium. But, the next day you do a water change, stripping the available food/waste and sending your bacteria back into starvation.

This famine to feast to famine your colony experiences prevents a stable environment.

There's been some great suggestions so far to reduce your bio-load.

I would also suggest looking into auto water changers. This would allow constant small water changes allowing more consistency in the food/waste for the bacteria to process.

Reactions: kendragon

Ihatemyplatinumgar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2021
i think you Are going to have to rethink your strategy here. You have a feed plan that creates a chum slick in your tank- massive bio load way beyond just what the fish are pooping out. You have a water change schedule that is basically a massive flush each week. Your maintenance cycle and feed program work against each other from a stability standpoint. Not an environment where bacteria will typically flourish. You never get bacteria colonies up to par to deal with the chum slick- they start to grow to deal with it and you flush the system.

you need culture gambusia or convicts as feeders and you need to get the fish on pellets. The intermittent chum slick is going To be a huge challenge until you quit makingthwr mess
Do I need to get a convict community in there? Let them breed live and provide as food? How many convicts can be added to a 10,000 gallon aquarium with a foot print of 24 by 12 by 4

Ihatemyplatinumgar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2021
Think of Beneficial Bacteria as a colony of critters and your bio-waste as their food.

As the available food increases, the colony increases. As the available food decreases, the colony decreases. But each change takes time.

If you start out with a "mature" filter, that means you have a colony that eats all the available food/waste. But if you flood the system with extra food/waste, such as adding a bunch of fish, then your colony will need time to grow to deal with the increased food/waste.

Thats all for typical conditions. Now add to that your feeding & maintenance.

After your water change the water is clean, thus there is a shortage of food/waste and your bacteria colony begins to starve. A couple of days later there is food/waste aplenty. But your colony is weak from the onset of starvation. A few days later it has begun to recover, waste/food is in excess and the colony is starting the path to equilibrium. But, the next day you do a water change, stripping the available food/waste and sending your bacteria back into starvation.

This famine to feast to famine your colony experiences prevents a stable environment.

There's been some great suggestions so far to reduce your bio-load.

I would also suggest looking into auto water changers. This would allow constant small water changes allowing more consistency in the food/waste for the bacteria to process.
It’s very hard to find bio filter media that’s mature that’s a size large enough for a 2000 gallon system as I am using 2 44 gallon trash cans that are full of stuff and even then it’s not working out

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

a 4 foot wide tank is NOT enough. I would suggest 40k gallons at least. They get 10 feet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store