Need help on sump filtration

isellcars

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2012
ATX
I have a 29g sump that was used on a sw tank. I am running fw but can't get my water clear no matter what I do. I have taken 2 pics to show my set-up but am willing to try almost anything to get clear water.
From overflow water goes into a 7" filter sock then flows into a sponge block. I did have it then go into some filter floss but the water was backing up to much and just flowing right over the sponge, floss and into the 3rd chamber that has bio balls, ceramic rings, purigen and charcoal bags......all from my old canister. It was then supposed to flow into more floss but that didn't happen either and it would just go into chamber with pump.
I have removed all floss and water is now flowing like it is supposed to but still very cloudy. The tank has been running for about 6 weeks and return pump has been lowered to about 600gph. I also do about a 30% water change once to twice a week.
Any ideas? I need my crystal clear water back.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

isellcars

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2012
ATX
Where I have all the bio balls, carbon and what not....used to be a refugium. Question is could I put volcano rock there and is there any benefit or drawback if I do?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thepotz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
N Dakota
I would try gravel in there somewhere, it seems to polish the water quite nicely. the trick is getting course enough gravel that won't interrupt your flow.

thepotz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
N Dakota
Yep, That would work good. I actually used Quickcrete Gravel, when I built the filter for wintering my koi in a chest freezer.

azjc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Gold Canyon, AZ
I have used a diatom filter with fresh water before. Magnum 350 canister filter has a kit to do this

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Crans

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
Socal
im no pro but thought most bioballs should be above water not floating in it for them to have there best afect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store