Need help sexing red dragon flower horn

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Got this flower horn at an Lfs and idk if it’s male or female I only have this pic the store had I’ll do more pics tomorrow as they are asleep
(Ik ur looking at my battery percentage)
IMG_2823.png

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
That appears to be a very young fish to my eye. There are others here far more knowledgable on Flower Horn for sure however, I've never noticed a reliable method of sexing them prior to the appearance of a bump (or lack thereof) once the fish has reached size enough that you can be certain it's reaching maturity.

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
That appears to be a very young fish to my eye. There are others here far more knowledgable on Flower Horn for sure however, I've never noticed a reliable method of sexing them prior to the appearance of a bump (or lack thereof) once the fish has reached size enough that you can be certain it's reaching maturity.
The nuchal hump/kok does not determine gender; it all depends on genes, some males have bad genes that give them a small hump or females that have good genes that give them big humps, ergo nuchal hump/kok is not a 100% surefire accurate way of determining gender

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
The nuchal hump/kok does not determine gender; it all depends on genes, some males have bad genes that give them a small hump or females that have good genes that give them big humps, ergo nuchal hump/kok is not a 100% surefire accurate way of determining gender
all Anecdotal evidence comes with a standard deviation and you clearly aren’t expecting a genetic test from this board. In your experience what is it beyond the kok that is a more reliable visual indicator noticeable from your photo(s)?

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
all Anecdotal evidence comes with a standard deviation and you clearly aren’t expecting a genetic test from this board. In your experience what is it beyond the kok that is a more reliable visual indicator noticeable from your photo(s)?
On the stomach/ vent area females have a u shaped vent for eggs and males have a v shaped vent, maybe you can see that or any other characteristics of gender

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
I’ll just take like an educated guess

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
I did write this a little off but usually males do have bigger humps but it relies down to genes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store