Need help - the big lad is down

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Wait it out. This can take days to weeks. Cross your fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
4th bath today.
Poor sods plodding on but no change.
Water is dirty because I stripped all the sump down and cleaned to make sure there were no lurking nasties.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1416955830.188695.jpg

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Sad to see man :( he seems like a fighter

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If ur able to get him out and put him in another tank with less volume. It'll be less pressure for him and less work to swim.

rjkz28

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Illinois
What I had to do with a bigger fish I used to own that this happened too was put something pretty heavy next to it to keep the fish upright. The more it keeps turning over the worse it will be. You have to find a way to prop him up right. Got my fingers crossed for you bud! Beautiful Cichla!

Mayo

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2008
Australia
u need to move to a isolation tank with water level no higher then the dorsal fin and/or use a towel or something else that wont damage the fish to make a sling, keep him upright as much as possible for highest chance of survival. So many BIG fish seem to get swim bladder problems in Aquariums seen a fair few TSN and RTC go like this :(

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
I don't really have another tank I'd be happy for him to sit in, they're all similar sizes anyway so there's no benefit in moving him and I can't reduce the water level as it all runs on a sump so the weir controls the level.

Do you all really think I should cradle him in a towel? I considered it but though it's more stress for him to worry about, I've propped him upright a few times and he moves, he can have a little kick here and there just to move out of any position you put him in.

I'm still doing the daily salt baths for 30 mins 4 table spoons for 15 gallon bucket, I read 1 spoon for 5g so thought I'd give him one for good luck.

His eye and nose is really damaged, I feel so downhearted at the minute, the fact he lives on makes me wonder if it's something repairable but I just can't figure it out!

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1417208773.201061.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1417208783.771515.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1417208793.858861.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Are u giving him any ABX? Is he eating all? Seems to have worsened since prior pics. If so the bass won't make it. Not sure about others thoughts on the matter but if he's not eating and getting tissue breakdown then it's a spiraling staircase to death. He's a fighter for sure cause you kept him well. Sorry to see it get this far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store