Need help treating dats for parasites!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Mostly gill flukes which is probably what causes the rapid breathing but I have had a thinbar that had a nice sized worm imbedded in its head.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
If the thinbars are showing no signs of paracites or stress... Then DO NOT treat.
If you do you run the risk of stressing them out creating issues in the future.
Fish can live with paracites and if they are healthy and immune system is good then thats enough to take care of themselves.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
If the thinbars are showing no signs of paracites or stress... Then DO NOT treat.
If you do you run the risk of stressing them out creating issues in the future.
Fish can live with paracites and if they are healthy and immune system is good then thats enough to take care of themselves.

So are you saying I should just wait until they show signs of they do have parasites? I have heard a lot of people say to treat them just to be safe and prazi is supposed to be a safer medication to use correct?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Just do it. Prazi is pretty harmless..

In addition to prazi, you should also do a light half strength levamisole hydrochloride dose in the quarantine too, if you have some. Just in case of camallanus worms lurking around in the intestines of your datnoid that is not easily detectable until the worms grow into a large enough size.. Repeat dose for a total of three times. FYI this is a really nasty, sneaky parasite that kills fish on the inside slowly over time and then pops out as a red thread on a fish's anus once they multiply and grow enough.. So I'd keep an eye on the datnoid for a while making sure he/she doesn't have any red little worms hanging on it's butt at all, if it does, definitely go for levamisole, it has worked well for me and has cured my fish with the issue, but be careful NOT to overdose.. it irritates the stomach of all fish, so they can flush out whatever is in their belly, (for example: the worms get paralyzed first and the fish is able to crud them out) watch out, a super strength dose could kill fish.. I have sadly lost some due to regular normal strength. Lighter, half strength is the way to go and it has worked for me. I have lost a lot of my trophy fish to this stealthy parasitic worm, and I don't want you to go through the same! Sometimes they require an intermediate host, and sometimes they don't.. the ones that doesn't require a host is pretty deadly. Research on it.

**EDIT**

Oh yeah, you can find some levamisole hydrochloride from pig, bird dewormers at places that sell animal farm meds.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
By the way, do not mix both prazi and levamisole to treat at the same time. Just a heads up. Good luck.

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
Any good meds to treat dats with sunken stomach? I prefer something to inject in the food so i dont treat whole tank. He got good appetite and is active. Just no matter how much he eats, his stomach looks sunken in a lil

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
So are you saying I should just wait until they show signs of they do have parasites? I have heard a lot of people say to treat them just to be safe and prazi is supposed to be a safer medication to use correct?

Personally yes... I wouldn't treat them if they are acting normal.
This is just my opinion. Others will disagree.

Unless we quarantine every single new fish that we buy and deworm or prazi blast them in QT... Then we basically keep fish and then decide to treat when they show signs of parasites.

We dont just wait for this to happen... We do our utmost to provide the best quality water and provide the best quality food and remove tankmates that cause too much stress from bullying. These factors i mention are enough in general to keep fish healthy and parasites at bay.

But for your piece of mind... Lots of members use PPro and it does seem to be ray safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store