need help with feeding earthworms

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
sixpack_ey;3982953; said:
Hydroponics? Does that mean add plants?
yes...add terestrial plants to the setup...like put some vine plants in a hob filter or a sump or leave the roots to hang into the tank with the vines outside...works wonders on tank water quality...

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Spoiling your water as in all the blood and crap going into your water along with the worm. Those "juices" dont do anything except spoil your water, might as well do it like the OP, cut it in a container of water, and throw in clean worms. Another thing I found out about hydroponics is, its a double edged sword. Yes it does keep your water clean, and it does minimize your need for a water change, but in doing that, you stop replenishing staple nutrients that come out from your tapwater in your water changes.

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
Gshock;3983724; said:
Spoiling your water as in all the blood and crap going into your water along with the worm. Those "juices" dont do anything except spoil your water, might as well do it like the OP, cut it in a container of water, and throw in clean worms. Another thing I found out about hydroponics is, its a double edged sword. Yes it does keep your water clean, and it does minimize your need for a water change, but in doing that, you stop replenishing staple nutrients that come out from your tapwater in your water changes.
What he said. Good information.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Gshock;3983724; said:
if you change the water say every 2-3 weeks it isn't so bad...i used to change every three days...it just minimizes the weekly change...not so you don't have to change it, but once a month for crap removal...though it is possible...i think that is when you run into the nutriant problem...thats what i was getting at and do with all my tanks...alittle extra filtration doesn't hert, just don't over use this sorce...hydroponics really comes in handy if you are out of town on the weekends or for a few weeks... by all means cut/clean the worms out side of the tank system...it is cleaner...i only throw in precut crawlers or whole...not all the gunk from the cutting process...

sixpack_ey

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Louisiana
I misunderstood when he said to cut them up in a container of water. I didn't realize I was not supposed to dump it all in. I didn't see all the blood in the cup until after I dumped it because I was so grossed out by cutting up the worms that I didn't want to look. Beginner mistake.
The tank was doing better this morning. Ammonia still zero, nitrites were not yet a complete zero, but deffinitely much down under .25ppm. Nitrates were between 5 and 10 ppm. After I took those readings this morning I did a 20% water change so I'm sure the water is about back to normal now.
The stingray stays burried a lot. Is that normal? It still comes out any time there is food in the tank and he eats a lot. There are not lights on the tank, just the lights from the room while he adjusts.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Seriously, if the blood and guts from half a dozen nightcrawlers (or less) causes any kind of "spoiling" of your water (i.e. ammonia or nitrite spike), then your system must not be running very well. One stingray pooping puts out a lot more crap than a few nightcrawlers blood and guts. If your system can't handle it, then you need to adjust the filtration upwards a little.

That's not to say you can't or shouldn't cut the worms up in a cup of water, then transfer to the tank, but it really shouldn't be an issue either way for a healthy system to handle.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Conner;3985034; said:
Seriously, if the blood and guts from half a dozen nightcrawlers (or less) causes any kind of "spoiling" of your water (i.e. ammonia or nitrite spike), then your system must not be running very well. One stingray pooping puts out a lot more crap than a few nightcrawlers blood and guts. If your system can't handle it, then you need to adjust the filtration upwards a little.

That's not to say you can't or shouldn't cut the worms up in a cup of water, then transfer to the tank, but it really shouldn't be an issue either way for a healthy system to handle.
thats what i was thinking, but it isn't worth the argument...but hydroponics is a good thing to have on every tank in general...just don't "over use it" still do a wc every couple weeks for the nutrient factor...in my mind the more of a self sustaining system we can get the better...

sixpack_ey

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Louisiana
I know, the tank ideally should be able to handle that, but its still a new tank, and the bacteria levels are adjusting to the new fish and the extra feedings. Things are looking much better today. I will continue doing daily water changes until I'm sure things are stable. I really appreciate all th help.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
sixpack_ey;3985128; said:
I know, the tank ideally should be able to handle that, but its still a new tank, and the bacteria levels are adjusting to the new fish and the extra feedings. Things are looking much better today. I will continue doing daily water changes until I'm sure things are stable. I really appreciate all th help.
maybe add a filter aswell couldn't hert...also look into the hydroponics...firemedic did a thread on it were he went like 90 days without a wc and had rays give birth in the system...check it out...imo it is worth it as the plants are cheap mantinece free and filter your tank aswell...then after you tank is caught up, you could drop to like a wc ever 2 weeks...save money in the long run and you don't hert the tanks bacteria...

sixpack_ey

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Louisiana
I will deffinitely try that. I used to have a brackish tank with mangroves and the water was always perfect. I also have no problems adding another filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store