need help with plants!

casey_s.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2007
Indiana
ok, i tired the whole live plant thing about 7 months ago and it didnt work, is there a certain temp, rock , or water i need for this to work??? i have a 40 gal fresh water tank (south american). tips would be appreciated!! thanks.

evercl92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, OH
www.2slowracing.com
Do you know what species of plants you tried?
Where did you get them from?

The specie of plant matters because some are more difficult than others, have special requirements, etc.

Where you got it from also matters, as many pet stores, ie petsmart, petco sell plants that are not truely aquatic, but will do ok under water for a couple months and then die.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Read the stickies in the plant section, they will get you a great start. From there, ask questions here, and we will help to guide you to a planted aquatic garden.

casey_s.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2007
Indiana
ok i will. i have plastic plants in there i just think the real plants look better.

nocx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2007
Malaysia
Start with java moss tied down to rocks. Once they grow out they tend to form a nice bush. Java moss is real easy to keep, best part is its almost impossible to kill it. It does grow slowly however.

donaldastwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
New York
If you are just starting off I always recommend Amazon Swords (ANY OF THE SPECIES) as they are very hardy plants that will root themselves quite happily in almost any substrate.
Also Java Ferns, these plants grow anywhere and are so tough that it surprises me sometimes where i find the stuff growing in my tank.
I do have a question for you though, what substrate do you have? Plain gravel, sand, rocks? as this will also determine how big and how healthy the plants are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store