Need help with salvini cichlids

Norrell Williams

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2017
Georgia
i just got in my 3 salvini cichlids yesterday and I'm having a really tough time sexing them. I'm thinking i have 2 males and 1 female i was hoping 1 male 2 females, but anyways they haven't really colored up yet i guess from stress from traveling so i didn't snap any pics yet i may take some today if they are more comfortable but anything you guys know about these will help. i researched and know about the spots on the dorsal and gill plate for females but its still hard to tell and they are around 3in.. puzzle help

8DiagramPoleFighter

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2015
NOLA
The dorsal spot is female. No spot is male. Very accurate and easy way of differentiating the sexes.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
lol i don't really want that to happen you think they would do that in a 75 gallon?
They seem very unpredictable. My male was very aggressive in a 75G, I eneded up taking him and his supposed girlfriend back to the shop after 12 months and he killed her in the bag on the way.
Still was a cool fish and,I wish I had another tank to keep him. Maybe,one day I will try again but do it properly this time.
My wife hated him as he just terrorised very other fish in the tank and ate some guppies she put in there! Only fish he didn't hassle was columbian tetras.

Norrell Williams

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2017
Georgia
They seem very unpredictable. My male was very aggressive in a 75G, I eneded up taking him and his supposed girlfriend back to the shop after 12 months and he killed her in the bag on the way.
Still was a cool fish and,I wish I had another tank to keep him. Maybe,one day I will try again but do it properly this time.
My wife hated him as he just terrorised very other fish in the tank and ate some guppies she put in there! Only fish he didn't hassle was columbian tetras.
Right now I got them in with a couple firemouths as dithers but they don’t bother them they just stay to their selves it two that stick together a lot but it looks like they are the two males

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Right now I got them in with a couple firemouths as dithers but they don’t bother them they just stay to their selves it two that stick together a lot but it looks like they are the two males
I guess time will tell, I'd add some large tetras as dithers and jeep an eye on things. If the salvinis decide they don't want them around anymore they won't last long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store