Need help with skiddish red isletas.

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
Sometimes bright lighting can make cichlids shy or nervous. I've had fish act like that but after changing to softer bulbs, the behavior changed. Too much empty space can cause the same behavior. Introducing a few pieces of driftwood, pots, or some other structures will provide the fish with multiple places of cover, making them more secure to stay out. Dithers also help. I also agree with Ryan regarding the height of the tank. If the tank is positioned too low, casting shadows could frighten the fish.

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
Well I could raise the tank but I'm 6'5 so I can't go too high. Tank has one pot in it for breeding. Might add another I guess

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
The pair I got from Rapps were shy for about a month, then all glass banging

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
This might sound stupid bought what else is in the tank decor wise? Substrate? Plants? I had an issue like this with a tank in my room that no matter what fish was in the tank it would hide and be skittish. I added and changed a ton of decor ie substrate, background, plants and it made all the difference. You can also try dithers to build the fishes confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
Tank has a pot, a few animal skulls, pfs mixed with black diamond for substrate, and a black background.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Well I could raise the tank but I'm 6'5 so I can't go too high. Tank has one pot in it for breeding. Might add another I guess

This may be the problem. You are too tall and he can't see you at eye level. I stack two 75 gals in an iron stand. The same skittish cichlids (naturally shy Dampsey and Synspillum) that I kept in the lower tank calm down when I moved them to the upper tank. I guess cichlids are intellegent creatures and feel comfortable when they can see me eye to eye but feel threatened of unknown that towers over them.

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
My tank is 52 inches from ground to the top.

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
How much higher would be good? Should I do a 4x4 base? I'm in an upstairs apartment so idk if cinder blocks would be a good idea with the extra weight

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I have a Kamalau that acts like that ( mature male ) upon my entering the fish room. At times I even fear it manages to jump out of the tank.

The darker I am dressed the worse it is.

Then it calms down, eats normally and is otherwise healthy and normal.

But the firts impact on seeing me everyday is awfull!

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
My male isletas freaks out all the time. I think it may be interfering with their breeding because he's not comfortable. I use a beamworks 36inch LED so the tank isn't very bright with the dark substrate and black background. At 52 inch tank height I'm not sure if I wanna go much higher.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store