DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
vamptrev;5027925; said:
pretty sure my media is sinking so it started boiling pretty quickly

i didnt know that k1 was floating

not sure why everyone uses k1 though... other brands of media have alot more surface area.
Please post link. To the "other" brand with more surface area. I personally think the surface area ratings are a joke. Research into ceramic rings quickly uncovers this. Out of the box some has rediculous area but when in use it quickly plugs and surface area is vastly diminished. Kinda like comparing a $100 "1000 watt" car amp to a $700 amp of the same rating. One is legit and does it all day long. The other will do it when ran on a higher voltage and lower impedence then recommended. You might get that 1000 watts at 20% thd right before catastrophic failure. Technically it did it for a split second, like technically out of the box one may have more surface area.

I've done quite a bit of reading/research and I'll i've seen are competitively priced knockoffs of K1.

I went with K1 because of the bio-chip stuff they came up with. If they are figuring out how to harbor bio animals IN ADDITION to bacteria I would suspect they are on the forefront when it comes to bio media.

If you take a handfull of K1 and toss it in a tank, yes it floats.

Plus if a guy with several hundred thousands in livestock tells me it's the best stuff ever created I'm gonna tend to side with him.

Jeffers- I think it depends on application.... How big of reactor. According to my research I should only need about 2 cfm for my reactor, which could be delivered by the big Coral life (65 I think) luft pump. In this case 100 is way overkill, BUT I also wanted something to be capable of all my other needs aside from the reactor.... In this case the 100 is great. VERY suprised about the noise level too. Plugged in out of the box it was loud. Very loud. But with stuff hooked to it I think it's actually quieter then the CL lufts.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
jeffers;5030281; said:
thanks db i forgot about using it for other airstones in the tank as well.
Can't ever have too much air!!! ;)

IF you like the idea I can bring down a 55 gallon drum chock full of K1 and the big air pump. All you'd need to do in return is drop a Marble in the empty bucket I bring with ;)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
jeffers;5030714; said:
hmm idk does it come with that giant tank you havent set up yet?
I don't have a giant tank..... I have a moderately sized growout tank, but far from giant. Too bad you didn't have a few more stunners, I might actually take you up on it. :WHOA:

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
i just found one that is 500 square feet of surface area per cubic foot. i couldnt find the k1 ratio to compare though....

i see that kaldnes has some different sizes too. not sure how much surface area they have but it might be worth looking into...

i also found some cool chip looking media that has even more surface area... i will see if i can find the link

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
vamptrev;5031024; said:
i just found one that is 500 square feet of surface area per cubic foot. i couldnt find the k1 ratio to compare though....

i see that kaldnes has some different sizes too. not sure how much surface area they have but it might be worth looking into...

i also found some cool chip looking media that has even more surface area... i will see if i can find the link
The K1 is small. K3 is a bigger version of K1. K3 allows more flowrate. Mike posted some really good pics comparing the K1, K3, and bio chips.

The chips are mixed in a ratio to either of the "K"s. They're 3x the price of the other stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store