need more caves

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
well, i duno, i wouldnt have thought it cost that much. people use it for their black ghost knives so they feel secure and they can see them. if you tried to breed them, then its easier to check on eggs and general spawning. you will see them still (depending on pleco, some like to hide regardless) but plecos like dark areas to make their site. males usually have one little bit they like to call home, whereas females are more nomadic. i think if/when i do it, im just going to have lots of little caves. you can always put loads next to each other. usually they can remember which one is theirs, the same way as bats all have their own little bit on a cave wall. however, it would be cool to have a network, especially if you can see an outline of where they are (light enough plastic so you know where they are, and dark enough to suit the pleco). lol its like hamster rotastack for plecos

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
imo a slate cave looks better than pvc pipes just from an asthetic point of veiw, but it would definately be different!!!

dark stranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
i'll probily cover the back and part of the top of the pvc pipes with slate and make caves for intrances now that i think about it i don't need colored pvc pipe if i cover most of the top clear should work if i do make it i'll post some pics wen its done :grinyes:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
i'll probily cover the back and part of the top of the pvc pipes with slate and make caves for intrances now that i think about it i don't need colored pvc pipe if i cover most of the top clear should work if i do make it i'll post some pics wen its done :grinyes:
awesome. looking forward to seeing how you do it, and of course results. you can push the pipes beneath the substrate.see how that works. id hate to get one stuck down there, or die. what a *** trying to fetch it out lol

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I carve my own caves out of rock I buy at LFS using a dremel tool.

dark stranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
i need some thing to do so i'll probly start soon once i get the suplis right now it will only be for a 10 galon but soon it will be for a 55-75 galon i'll do the 10 first debug and tweek it out then make the 55-75 once i get started on the 55-75 i'll post pic's on how it's going and the building process
onward to the great tunnel/cave making days to come.:headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2
wish me luck:clap

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
really? it work well? just for plecos, or do other fish use it?
My clown loaches love it for sleeping. I can't believe how they cram themselves in there.

dark stranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2006
wyoming
hey guys i need some help what is the max thickness of an adult h. punctatus common pleco i'm trying to figure out what size of pvc to get for my cave/tunnel system:grinyes:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
well they get 12" long but if its H. plecostomus it'll be about 24". socave system wise its guna need to be pretty wide for it 3", maybe more. if your guna do it, id do it with a cave spawning pleco, cause the one you have makes it home in mud banks. THere are plenty of other plecos that i think you could get more enjoyment from doing this project from

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store