need opinions for a top on a 8x4 pond!!!

arowfan

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
North Jersey
www.stickam.com
Hey everyone, I'm very close to being finished on my 8x4ft pond and I want your opinion on what to use for a top!

Some things to keep in mind:

-I would like to keep the humidity in the pond if possible when the top is shut
-Would like to see through it
-Would be nice if it could keep the heat in...

I think I read somewhere on here that someone used a jaccuzzi hot tub cover which kept the humidity and heat in...that is a possibility, but can't imagine how much that cost?!?!

If I built something out of the plexiglass at home depot with a wooden frame, I'm affraid it will warp with time...

any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

john

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
2x2 frame covered in visqueen that is hinged in the middle

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
arowfan;4033142; said:
interesting, but where can you find visqueen? looked at home depot and lowes websites...nothing
You were in the right place. It is there, you just have to find it.

arowfan

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
North Jersey
www.stickam.com
just a thought- i make a frame maybe out of thin plywood, then tack on a tarp as the inside surface when closed... will this work?

if I'm doing something that isn't transparant, then I will rig some timed lighting for the fish when its closed...

arowfan

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
North Jersey
www.stickam.com
thanks fishman, i was thinking about that-but it would let the humidity escape...

how about this attached to a thin plywood frame:
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

"Made of a durable polyester resin and reinforced with fiberglass, these panels provides a nonporous wall surface that resists moisture, mildew, stains and protects wall from dents and scratches"

^might have a winner what do you think?

and what about the tarp on plywood idea???

dawnmarie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
California Delta
www.eddosharbor.com
arowfan;4033308;4033308 said:
maybe if I go there and ask...but its not coming up on the websites...
Visqueen is to clear poly sheeting what Q-Tip is to cotton swabs.
You should be able to find it in the paint department near drop cloths and masking tape.

rdx1555

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2008
Arcadia, CA
I'm guessing your visibility will be obscured by condensation. So even if its see through I'd still try and make it light weight and put it on hinges. Best solution would prolly be to make some kind of lightweight foam insulated cover with a viewing window. Hinges on both the entire cover and the small viewing window.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store