Need Some Advice From Sturgeon Keepers

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I say no way on paddlefish. I read an article regarding I believe the Tennessee Aquarium. They have never kept one alive over 5 years regardless if it was brought in at a few inches or a few feet. They damage their noses all the time and get infections that long term do them in.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Cool! Hard to believe that tank doesnt freeze all winter being outside and all, they must heat the water to above freezing inside or something like that.
either that or the flow in the tanks keeps the water from freezing. They have some pretty strong powerheads in those 3 outside tanks.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I say no way on paddlefish. I read an article regarding I believe the Tennessee Aquarium. They have never kept one alive over 5 years regardless if it was brought in at a few inches or a few feet. They damage their noses all the time and get infections that long term do them in.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I wasn't even considering a paddlefish. Plus they're not sturgeons. Sturgeons are family Acipensieridae and Paddlfish are family Polyodontidae.

Pssymon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2014
Netherlands
They are all sturgeons Divemaster. The Beluga and Kaluga are Called Huso huso and Huso dauricus, not acipenser but they are classified as sturgeon. So are the Paddlefish and Chinese Paddlefish.
About Paddlefish not surviving over 5 years, I have never heard of that. A local zoo here has huge ones, I don't know how long they have been there. An acquaintance of mine has a couple and I have one right now as well. I was worried that my Beluga could eat it but it leaves it alone. My only worry is it being eaten by a heron, it is approximately 50cm long now, it's probably out of the danger zone but I've lost a 40cm Stellatus before. I'm one of those people Chub_by knows who owns an Atlantic sturgeon, so I can confirm that they are legal to own and available (though rare). I would assume they would be available in the US or Canada, since that's where they come from.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store