Need some ideas

D12DetroitD12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Monroe, Michigan/Toledo, Ohio
Ive posted about this a few times, once thinking of a schooling fish and another thinking of discus. All my fish in my main tank now are not very active or colorful but i still enjoy keeping them. I guess what im looking for is something colorful and active but wont take up a bunch of space. Discus cost too much for me at the moment so ill forget that. Im looking to add color and activity to my 75 gal. My filtration is a emperor 400 and a magnum 350 cannister. I have 2 sens, 1 delhezi and a bowfin all ranging from 5'' to 7''. I know people will say those fish will tear up anything that i put in but i really haven't seen aggression between them or the 2 black molly's with them. So any advice on a good fish is appreciated. (Was considering angel fish, bad?)

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
D12:

I really don't think that putting angels in with your current stock is a good idea, as they are quite delicate fish and may not liven up things a bit for you as they are quite docile and peaceful. They remind me a lot of Congo Tetras. Both of their water parameters (the congo's and angels) are quite sensitive and delicate, requiring constant monitoring. One difference I find is, the congo's are fresh water and the angels are brackish. But similar characteristics in both as far as rapport and demeanor.

Edit: I hope this helps. Good luck.

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
you need fast schooling fish that are big enough to be swallowed,you have predators in there

D12DetroitD12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Monroe, Michigan/Toledo, Ohio
Maybe the black molly's in there were just lucky then. Both of them are too big for the bichirs and the bowfin hasn't paid much attention to them.

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
David K. Bradley;4259776; said:
D12:

I really don't think that putting angels in with your current stock is a good idea, as they are quite delicate fish and may not liven up things a bit for you as they are quite docile and peaceful. They remind me a lot of Congo Tetras. Both of their water parameters (the congo's and angels) are quite sensitive and delicate, requiring constant monitoring. One difference I find is, the congo's are fresh water and the angels are brackish :screwy:. But similar characteristics in both as far as rapport and demeanor.

Edit: I hope this helps. Good luck.
ummmm angel fish, brackisih?? yah when the earth dies. but no angels are NOT brackish... dont know where you heard that from..... angels are freshwater, and easyier then heck to raise. ( for me anyways ) but to the OP, i woiuldnt do angels with the bowfin and sengels, i wouild do maybe like a sev or an oscar ( one center piece fish and since its a 75 you can do a fish that is from 6 to 14 inches since its 18 wide )

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
I agree, a big cichlid like a sev would be good. If you want to go the schooling route I'd get maybe a school of rainbows or JD's but I think either way they'll eventually get picked off by the bowfin. Or you could do a big tiger barb school and just add more if some get picked off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store