needle-nose gar, anyone got one?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
If that is what I think it is then it is the victim of marketers adding the name gar to any long thin predatory freshwater fish. It looks like a needlefish which is related to halfbeaks. They are brackish but adaptable, various close relatives are found almost world wide in warm waters and some types get more than 3' long. In some areas they are rather expensive food fish.

STONEDFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
It was a tough fish, absolutely shredded my silver gar to bits. I accidently killed mine about a year ago.....when I moved. Sucked.

STONEDFISH

AlaskaJammin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
Alaska
I have had a few of these guys and they are kind of sensitive. They are actually supposed to be kept cool, and will always be the first fish to show sighns of stress with water quality. Also very susceptable to bacterial infections. Id go with a silver hujeta any day

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
Funny you say that, I bought a hujeta today. Damn cool fish, shiny, active, and snapping at buenas aires tetras 2 minutes after I acclimatised him.

He's more aggressive than my hoplias :D

AlaskaJammin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
Alaska
Yeah the hujeta are awsome. But if you really want to see them at their best you have to keep them in groups of six or more. I have a school of eight and they all school toghether and line up in a defensive pattern whenever threatened by my other fish. Wicked cool stuff. BTW if you want to get away from live food with them, I had a lot of luck with chopped and frozen krill.

thunderbolt289

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
SE Minnesota.
In my 75, I have 3 Cancila "Gars" and 3 Hujeta "Gars". The Cancila seem to be more active. None are aggressive to one another. The tank is being planted and has 240 watts. I wish I had room for more! A school of eight sounds absolutely awesome! Three should be the minimum number (with enough space, of course) in my opinion.

I've had horrible luck with feeders lately. Half the time the LFS is out, or if they do have feeders, they get sick and die within days.

Can anyone tell me how to get them to eat krill? Any info would be great! Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store