needlenose gar

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
It really is a necessity to clearly explain what fish is being talked about to avoid confusion by mistaking one animals care for anothers.

"Needle nose gar" is an incredably vague common name that has been applied to several species across many Genus in seperate families.

None are the same in husbandry and no one can truly say anything with accuracy unless the species is identified to this common name at least to Genus level.

horndevl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2006
Indiana USA
feeding needlenose crickets and moths ,,what do you do just drop them in water ,sorry if i sound stupid, ive just purchased 2 of them they are awsome

horndevl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2006
Indiana USA
ive read up some on these been feeding them guppies they eat happily. read about crickets and such but wasnt quite sure. thankyou..

horndevl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2006
Indiana USA
i live in Indiana on the ky border [Louisville] breeding not sure i just know they r awsome stalkers , and quite interesting fish. but i have a question anyone reads this should i put three in tank or 2 allright? according to what ive read i think they are both males..i think

OldSchool

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Nice fish, just be careful, mine were very very skittish. Calm at first, then became very skittish, every time the lights would go out, they'd bash into the top of the tank. I believe they're well known jumpers in their native waters.

elykyelsna

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA USA
I left a lid up on my tank, walked into the room 5min later, and there was my 10.5" needlenose on the floor, the little bastard turned his head back and bit me when i picked him up to put him back in the tank, luckily he was fine.

Unxpekted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2006
Canada
My needlenose will now take turtle food (the long stick like pellet food), as well as live feeders. It took a while to get him onto the pellets, but I think it was worth it, just to vary his diet a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store