Never ending Algea

is300soon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
san jose ca
So here is the deal. I have a 75 gallon that has been up and running for years, I do water changes, clean the filter etc etc etc. I will list the items in the tank

1. Natural granite from a river, cleaned and boiled, bleached, washed, cleaned and boiled again
2. Indian slate, just introduced to the tank
3. One Jack dempsey
4. Fluval 405
5. PFS (pool filter sand)

So for years now this tank always and I mean always has an algea problem. Two weeks ago we cleaned the whole tank, did a 30% water change , cleaned all the rocks and got it crystal clear..

Side note, I started a 55 gallon and a 10 gallon with the water change water, both of those tanks are algea free.

So with all of this done I can only think of one thing that might be causing this problem. The bulb, not sure what light came with the tank but its the original, the two other tanks that I started have zero issues with the same water, this tank has always had this issue and all i can think is, it has to be the light bulb.

I had the water tested by me and the lfs and all numbers were good, nothing crazy and 0 amonia. Can anyone assist here, could light be a factor? I cannot stand this and if i can get rid of my jack this tank is coming down for a cleaning, back getting painted black and some natural rock scaping.

Any help would be great.

thanks
D

is300soon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
san jose ca
zoo med/ reef sun 50/50 48 inch.

thats all it says on it.

D

codyish125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2010
oc
Is your tank in sunlight from a window or anything?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

is300soon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
san jose ca
no the room is my office and there is a black sheet over the window, no natural light comes in. There is a standard lamp about 5 feet from the tank, but it's barely on. I did notice however when i had a pleco and i didn't pay much attention to the tank, meaning barely had the light on he was able to clean the tank pretty well, but when i got back into it and had the light on he couldn't keep up.

D

codyish125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2010
oc
I might get raged on but try buying a Walmart 10 dollar plant light.in the home lighting section..clean your tank and see what that light does..i had the same prob with my planted 30.but the cheap Walmart light grew them great and no algea.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lanceiswaiting

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Australia
What are the tanks dimensions and how many tubes/globes in the light? What hours do you have it on? You have pretty much answered your own question with your last post. Either get a smaller light or cut the hours you have it on. Good luck

is300soon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
san jose ca
No live plants in the tank, i keep the 55 gallon on for hours and nothing, but this 75 wide, its 4 foot long 2 foot tall or so and wide. I am thinking of just getting a regular light for the thing and trying that. This is just blah!

is300soon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
san jose ca
oh ya 1 tube.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store