Neverending cichlids...

African Dick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2005
Africantown, Africa
I have a neverending cycle of baby convicts. I would like to add some sort of predator for crowd control. I already have 9 convicts and they keep producing. Any suggestions? Birchir or something maybe?

Casey Norris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
Oklahoma
I feel your pain. I have a tank of Mollies and Guppies that are continually pregnant, in fact one guppy just had a batch of fry two days ago. As far as crowd control in my tank i have a friends that is a fish nerd like i am and she has taken some of my babies when they get big enough, there is also a few privately owned LFS's in my city that will take them for store credit or trade. The hardest part for me is giving them up once I have had them long enough that the LFS will take them.

skinless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
Edmonton, CAN
mmm..not sure what will get through 9 cons and their fry in the same tank. If you just bought another tank, your options would really only depend on tank size, as just about any predatory fish will suck up fry no prob. My pair of cons reproduce constantly, and the fry complement my Midas' feeding in a seperate tank.

scottchristian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
las vegas, NV
sounds like you want to keep something in the same tank with the cons that will eat the fry. with that many cons, reproducing ? nothing would be very succesful imo.. :)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Get a seperate 10g tank with a pair of Malaysian leaffish or 1 South American leaffish. That should do it.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
bobz said:
Couldn't you give them to a fish shop for store credit?
probably not....convicts are a dime a dozen and it can be hard even finding an lfs to take convict juvies for free, let alone for store credit. I like Guppy's idea. :grinyes:

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
I had a 30 gallon with a dollar worth of guppy feeders. I also had 3 gold spilos in there and the spilos could not eat all the guppies fast enough.

I also had a 120 gallon with 12 red bellies and a pink convict pair. The cons took over the left side of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store