New 125

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
Yeah I agree a 125 is nowhere big enough for all these fish when they are full grown and actually I originally just set it up as a display for my Dovii pair. However a couple days ago I was in my lfs and noticed they'd gotten in the black belts. When I asked them how much they wanted for them, I was told if I took all 6, I could have the group for $70. The price was right so I decided to chance it. When I introduced them to their new tank they were recieved with very little aggression. Admittedly my Dovii male is on the laid back side especially for the species. I have had two slightly smaller males in the past that would routinely murder fellow tank mates and seemed to take great pleasure in it. It is interesting to watch the tank though because with the presence of such a dominant tank member all the black belts have taken up a sort of psuedo-schoaling behavior, where as in the store they were beating on each other pretty good. Well, I guess it looks like I have a good excuse to look for a real big tank now! Bummer:) Anyways thanks again for all the feedback!

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
first time i have ever seen Black belts together like that.. they look so beautiful with their pastel colors ... and those are some awesome looking BB's.. all their tails are beautiful... no aggression in that tank...

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
Very little aggression, they mostly just swim around displaying to one another which is really neat to watch. I don't know where the black belts originally came from, they just showed up at my lfs. They are a pretty good looking variety though a lot of red and blue/green colors to them. Coincidentally, I believe the group consists of three males and three females, which works out pretty good.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Wow If it were me and the bb schooled together without agression the dovi would be the ones leaving. Never seen bb school like that either. Keep us posted! Very nice tank and driftwood and fish!

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
That is a very nice looking tank. Something tells me it's going to be a dovii tank in the near future though. ;)

What type of filtration are you running, if those fish survive it is going to need some major filtration.

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
Great looking black belt! Good documentation as well. As far as filtration on my tank, I'm running a Fluval 404 and a couple of powerheads for water movement. I am also changing a lot of water about 50 gallons daily! My gf works at a pet supply store so all the fish are getting a healthy supply of crickets, earthworms, superworms as well as cichlid pellets, so water changes are definitely a must right now. I am looking to purchase a Fluval PX5 or something similiar in the near future to bump up the filtration on this thing!

irab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2008
QueenCreek, AZ
Nice tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store