New 265 gallon for dovii

Rawhidesabi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2016
North Olmsted, Ohio
Hey guys I am actually resealing a 265 right now in order to setup for my future dovii's.
I did have a few questions on if my filtration is going to be able to support this big tank though. This is my first big tank so I would love a few pointers.
Filters are: 2x Sun sun 304b 525gph with 9v uv( i know the uv in that is basically useless but whatever helps) floss, ceramic media, bioballs in 1 and the other i toss carbon in from time to time just to be safe since i have no clue who is correct about carbon or no carbon.
And a 30 gallon canister ran to a 30w uv to keep a slow flow rate that will sit in my wet dry with my heater and air pump. (Floss, bioballs, carbon or more bioballs.
950gph pump in a 54 gallon homemade wet dry with pvc siphon to save a few bucks.
Sump is a trickle with the 3 types of poly(coarse, fine, polish) then trickle to some biohome ultimate, and last tray having biohome half submerged. It is not a marine tank but i am setting up a refugium with some plants and algae in the second chamber. Then lastly of course the pump. Figured i would stick the 30 gallon canister with uv in the bottom of the first chamber so the uv gets prefiltered water to do its thing to. I am thinking the sun sun filters will be on opposite ends of the 7ft tank and the sumps inlet in the center. But not sure where to place the spray bars and sump outlet. I do also have the little fan things for currents that i usually put low in the tank blowing upward to keep some of the sludge off of my substrate.

I can not grow much with dovii's as they like to redecorate but i am going to make an attempt to keep a few plants alive inside the tank. Not sure what substrate im using since im going from a 55gallon to a 265 i will surely need another 50 pounds of whichever i choose.

Well any ideas would be helpful and i am trying to keep this at the lower end of the cost spectrum if i can. Also was thinking of replacing my air stones with the k1 moving media and throwing that in the sump if the oxygen in the water seems low.

Main concerns are......is this enough filtration or do i need more.......also if this is all wrong and im thinking too much

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I know some folks recommend redundant filtration, and that's not a bad thing. If I was in your situation, which we are close in terms of tank size, I'd just focus my design, funds and energy on the sump and ditch the canisters. If done right, the sump should be more than sufficient, IMO. I'm also considering long term maintenance for you as well. Just my .02. Keep us posted.

Reactions: Danh

Rawhidesabi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2016
North Olmsted, Ohio
See i wasnt sure since this also my first sump setup.....i heard your sump should do ur whole tank 3-5 times an hour and at the height the tank will be the head of the pump is rated at 770 or so. I may end up trying only sump after the bacteria in my currently running canisters builds up in it. But that makes me feel good that im overdoing it and not under. I know i will be feesing live often for the doviis so i know that increases the sludge and bio load.

I goofle too much lmao

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yes, the pump may be on the low turnover if you consider head and increased volume from having a sump too. Then again you'll have canisters.

Rawhidesabi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2016
North Olmsted, Ohio
Ok good and it will have the algae eaters in it until the dovii dexide they dont want roomates. I do like the dovii but it does suck that they basically will evict all tenants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store