Snafu1507

Gambusia
Jul 25, 2017
So after about 8 years away from keeping an aquarium (I kept a 90 gallon aquarium with my father until I graduated high school), I have finally decided to get back into the hobby. I recently acquired a 300 gallon aquarium (dimensions - 96"L, 30"W, 24"H) at a garage sale for a steal and am eager to stock it with my favorite fish, American cichlids. I want this tank to be slightly under stocked, as I like the more natural look. The tank will have a lot of driftwood, rock structures and fake plants.

So far the stock I have in mind includes:
4 Jack Dempsey (1 male, 3 females)
6 Firemouth (2 males, 4 females)
6 Thorichthys aureus (2 males, 4 females)
1 Green Terror (female)
2 Nicaraguense (1 male, 1 female)

I would like some Central American dithers, but am not completely sure what those would be. If push comes to shove, I'll get a school of Giant Danios.

I will buy all my fish as juveniles since watching them mature is half the experience in my opinion, the significant price difference is nice as well. I do over buy (usually 2-3 more than I plan to keep) so I can get the most peaceful fish possible and a balance of sex.

What do you guys think about this stock list? Should anything be changed?

Thanks

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
If you are after a natural look,personally I would drop the nics and the gt.
Gt's being south American and nics not fitting the biotope for the other cichlids.
However I think a harem of JDs and a large group of say 12 to 15 meeki would make a very nice biotope and look very natural.
If you added a large shoal of yucatun mollies you would have a great tank of fishes found together in nature.
I'm not saying your original list won't work but it will not be as natural as the fish i named above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store