New 90gallon tank and 30 gallon sump. Need advice!

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
TheCanuck;4432150; said:
Well if your doing that much live rock honestly you could just run a skimmer and power heads.... A refugium would keep nitrates down and expand time between water changes. So much for being froogle lol, i never buy live rock. If that is your plan to buy that much live rock then your idea with the refugium and skimmer would be perfect.
I also thought about putting a sock in the first chamber. What kind of rock do you use? What would be a good in sump skimmer for this kind of setup?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Diogenes;4432159; said:
I also thought about putting a sock in the first chamber. What kind of rock do you use?

I have a diagram drawn at my home computer ill post for you. Filter socks are a must on all my tanks. Well in my big tank i use lace, its .50 cents a lb. Live rock is always good to have around, and don't let me sway you any different.

I have pictures of my tank in my sig, check it out.

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
very nice tank my canadian friend... :thumbsup:

So does anybody have any insight on the type of return pump I need to go from the sump back to the display?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Diogenes;4432982; said:
very nice tank my canadian friend... :thumbsup:

So does anybody have any insight on the type of return pump I need to go from the sump back to the display?
Well people on here tend to like mags and other name brand products. I like ebay pond pumps. I got my 3200gph pump for 120$, yours might cost like 20$ for that tank.;)

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Just make sure you get a pump that can handle salt...no reason in rusting yourself out.

I filter my 75g reef with only a AquaC skimmer and tons of flow delieverd by koralia powerheads.

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
TheCanuck;4435224; said:
thank you very much. melevreef.com recommends 1/4" thick acrylic or glass baffles. Is there any recommendation on the distance between baffles for a 30 gallon tank? What are the factors for determining how far apart to space things?

that thing in the first chamber of the diagram is the overflow right?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Diogenes;4435906; said:
thank you very much. melevreef.com recommends 1/4" thick acrylic or glass baffles. Is there any recommendation on the distance between baffles for a 30 gallon tank? What are the factors for determining how far apart to space things?

that thing in the first chamber of the diagram is the overflow right?
Micron filter sock

I know there is a certain distance, I'll have to google that and post it later for ya.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store