New baby monster fish!!

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Would he be good with oscars and a 3 pacu piranhas?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Three pacu are going to need over 500 gallons.

You'd probably need more than eight hundred gallons for all those fish... they grow quite fast... oscars would do well for as long as they can hold their own in the tank, but will eventually become dietary supplements for the redtail.

You're going to have to think about rehoming some of those fish...

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
My plans are a 270 gallon pond (indoor since I live in jersey) it doesn't sound like a lot of gallons for a RTC but the lay out is 10' by 6'. And is he really tht aggressive? I know he will eat what fits in his mouth but is he rally capable of killing my 10" tire track and my 6" birchirs and my 4" gar?? Now I'm nervouse lol

I hope just your gallons are off. A 10x6' pond would be an awesome upgrade but your talking way larger than 270 gallons unless you plan on making it only 7 or so inches deep.

Its not that RTC are aggressive per say, they are just hungry opportunistic feeders that will and do eat anything that can even remotely fit in there mouths.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Thats 1350 gallons.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
My plans are a 270 gallon pond (indoor since I live in jersey) it doesn't sound like a lot of gallons for a RTC but the lay out is 10' by 6'. And is he really tht aggressive? I know he will eat what fits in his mouth but is he rally capable of killing my 10" tire track and my 6" birchirs and my 4" gar?? Now I'm nervouse lol

Nah the pond is a good 3' deep

What u mean?

10'x6'x3' is roughly 1350 gallons.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I hope just your gallons are off. A 10x6' pond would be an awesome upgrade but your talking way larger than 270 gallons unless you plan on making it only 7 or so inches deep.

Its not that RTC are aggressive per say, they are just hungry opportunistic feeders that will and do eat anything that can even remotely fit in there mouths.
Lol even some things they can't fit :p twice I woke up to a choking RTC trying to swallow a silver dollar slightly to large lol

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I've always stayed away from rtc.. just because I've read many posts about horror stories about them getting to large and needing a abundant amount of food.

I remember someone say this on a thread way back in the day
"if you can supply these two things by all means buy a rtc
1). Olympic sized swimming pool
2). endless supply of food"

good luck haha hes gonna get big quick!

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
True, the food won't be a prob but the pond might cause my pacu (3) are gonna get huge and I'm gonna put them in my custom indoor pond in a year or two but I'm not sure if they would both get along but considering the pacu is on the herbivore side but not strictly I figure they might get along also, the RTC is 3" right now

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
So im confused, how big is this pond?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store