New Brachyplatystoma platynemum

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Just picked this guy up today at my LFS. From what i've gathered they're fairly rare and I got a hell of a deal on him. I paid $80 for him and hes about 7-8". Very very cool looking cat. If anyone with experience keeping these guys wants to chime in feel free to. He has some scratches on his head but hopefully they will go away soon. So far so good, granted hes only been in the tank about 2 hours. I even caught him eating some tilapia already. Right now hes in a 75g with a 5" mala wolffish. Don't try to rip me on tank size because yes I do plan on upgrading him to a large tank once we move which will be in about a month or two. I've gotten mixed things about their max size, one site said around 4' and another one said most males reach about 2' with females getting a little larger. Screenshot_2015-08-23-15-23-09.png Screenshot_2015-08-23-15-25-15.png 20150823_172834.jpg

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Good deal! I've seen them double that price at that size.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sweet! Great shots too. They are, not super, but rarely available during a short time. You got a great deal indeed. This must be a grow out from this year's spring season.

The trouble is different though: I, for one, have never seen an adult, not even a sub-adult. Neither have I come across a single grow-out account of any significance. IDK how big they grow in captivity.

I hope you will fill this void! Much luck.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Thanks guys. Im hoping he will turnout good too. Turns out he didnt eat last night and the lfs owner text me and said he was only taking feeders. When i got up this morning at about 4 he was roaming around the top so i may try freeze dried krill in the canister output tonight or in the morning before rachel turns their lights on. Im starting to really like cats again. Only problem is I could never get rid of my polys and they all need a big tank. I would assume the polys would become a noodle for big cats, even with my bigger polys being about 14" and very thick.. Id like to get a tig or another jurense (Sorry if i butchered the name). Im also in love with wyckii and have wanted one for about a year now, but theyre evil soo idk if i will ever get one being they grow large and need to be by themselves.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Thanks guys. Im hoping he will turnout good too. Turns out he didnt eat last night and the lfs owner text me and said he was only taking feeders. When i got up this morning at about 4 he was roaming around the top so i may try freeze dried krill in the canister output tonight or in the morning before rachel turns their lights on. Im starting to really like cats again. Only problem is I could never get rid of my polys and they all need a big tank. I would assume the polys would become a noodle for big cats, even with my bigger polys being about 14" and very thick.. Id like to get a tig or another jurense (Sorry if i butchered the name). Im also in love with wyckii and have wanted one for about a year now, but theyre evil soo idk if i will ever get one being they grow large and need to be by themselves.
Try live nightcrawlers with the lights off

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Very nice. I think the solution to your problem is two big tanks. :p

And yea I would not trust a predatory cat fish with poly's, as the do look a lot like noodles, and would hate to think of one going missing.

I live by the saying you can never trust a catfish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Live black worms may work too. If it takes these, the non-live offerings can be soaked in with the black worms and eventually the non-live (pellets, frozen, etc.) should be taken.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store