New FH tank setup

ChrysMarieG

Feeder Fish
May 12, 2023
Hi everyone!
I’m not new to the hobby but new to FH. My LFS has a FH for sale that’s roughly 6”. I currently have a 75 Gallon tank that he would occupy with a sailfin pleco that’s roughly 11”. Nothing is in the tank besides some sandy substrate and a few pieces of rock that I’ve removed the sharp edges from to keep the fish safe. Just wondering if the sailfin and the FH will be okay together. If not, I have another tank the sailfin can be moved to for its safety.

also, in regards to feeder fish for the pleco, the local PetSmart has some smaller end giant danios for sale for less than $1. Are they too big for the FH? What’s the best feeder fish for him?

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
75 gallon should be fine and the sailfin as a tankmate will probably work. Flowerhorn like to dig and move substrate so add a prefilter to your intake if you want to keep the sand.
No feeder fish is a good rule. FH don't need live food and you risk infecting your fish with illness and disease when feeding live prey. Just stick to quality pellets and frozen or freeze dried shrimp as a treat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store