New Fish Help

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
Dempseygunz;2618569; said:
Pacu are sweet... Im not real sure how long ill keep the RTC. I have a huge pond in my back yard so he may end up there!
Good luck keeping that warm enough for an Amazonian fish in Ohio. If I kept a RTC, I'd build a cinder block indoor pond.

Dempseygunz

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2009
Washington DC
Yeah good point, I don't know why alot of you are avoiding my original reason for this thread. I want to know what kind of monster fish would be sweet with my RTC.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Dempseygunz;2619014; said:
Yeah good point, I don't know why alot of you are avoiding my original reason for this thread. I want to know what kind of monster fish would be sweet with my RTC.
If a fish has to avoid being chompd down by the RTC, then it has to be something that will also outgrow your tank. I think you are better off focusing on your RTC first. Then once you remove it out of your tank, you can get anything you want. In the first place, the RTC should already be in the pond (assuming this is heated) or you shouldn't have bought it at all. Many people who keep RTCs end up having trouble getting rid of them because many aquarium exhibits are refusing them even for free due to their potential size and feeding tendencies.

IKeepPacu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Long Island, New York
again, you would need an extremely fast growing fish, so he wont be your RTC snack :)

not many fish i know of grow as fast as them, except as i mentioned, a pacu. these guys grow like hell to around 20" but slow down after that it seems. i would imagine their tall and bulky enough for a RTC to eat for awhile. there could be other fish im not aware of however.

TheFanatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
St. Louis
www.grillinfool.com
Dempseygunz;2619936; said:
Ok ill say this again, I understand the size and capability of my fish.
Sorry, but anyone who throws an RTC in a 125 does not know the size and capability of that fish. That fish makes an oscar seem like its growth is stunted.

That fish will outgrow that tank in under 3 months without a single water change in that time. Just wait for the first time that fish decides to slide one of your larger rocks in the tank down to the other end of the tank slamming it into the glass.

I speak from experience. I bought a 1.5 inch RTC when I was like 20. Put it in a 75 with two oscars with the intention of upgrading about 18 months later to a 200 gallon. 2 months later it was 16 inches long. A 200 gallon wouldn't have been big enough anyway

Dempseygunz

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2009
Washington DC
Yeah, I have read several messages just like yours pal. All I can afford is what I have at the moment. I inherited this fish and am doing the best I can to take care of it. I could have just thrown in the freezing cold lake behind my house but I didn't. So unless you want to donate me a huge tank then relax

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store