New FW Barracuda

Industrial

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So today I decided that I would get a barracuda that one of my LFS had for a few months. I was thinking of getting it for a while, but I was reluctant due to stories of them dying right away.

I paid 16 dollars more than I would have paid if I waited for work to get some in (not sure when), but this guy is pretty big (I'd say 3-4") and he seems well fed. Plus, I don't want my raph to be alone again after the death of my scomb and develop "anti-social" behavior again.

Already, he has eaten a rosy and he seems to be getting along great with the raph.

BTW, does anybody know what species he would be? I am terrible with this.

A. Falcatus, Falcirostris, Altus? My guesses would have to be one of those.

FW1.JPG

fw2.JPG

fw3.JPG

Industrial

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
Buffalo, NY
sashimimaster;4197694; said:
I hope you keep that Raph well fed cause the cuda looks like it could be a good meal...

My 6" scomb ate a 4" Bala shark and 4" ATF very easily.
When I got my scomb, I knew it was going to be as long as the raph, but the overall size was a major difference. The scomb was previously fed goldfish and the owner said that it ignored rosys, while there was no way the raph could eat goldfish.

Right now the barracuda is longer than the raphs mouth to end of stomach, but I am predicting in the future, size possibly being a problem. I will have to find some way to work around that.

Sorry about your losses, I would be pretty upset!

As for feeding, because the tank is in the low 80's I throw in two rosys at a time 2-3 times a day depending on how they are eating. After about two hours any uneaten rosys begin to die off from the heat.

But yes, after the the raph outgrows the barracuda I will make sure he is well fed!

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
Ace Falcirostris

He should grow about a inch a month up to 6-7 ish. And then hit 8-10" at 1 year old.

When these guys are young they can eat there weight in rosey's everyday. As long as there is enough food. Usually they have a fairly high parasitic load when bought. So after a month or so settling in time it would be a good idea to treat the tank with jungle labs parasite clear. It contains 4 or all the major parasite meds in a all in 1 easy to use tablet.

I had the same problem with roseys dieing because of my 86-88 degree temps in my juvie cuda tank. I finally figured out if a put like 20-30 of them in a 5g bucket half full of there water. And then drip acclimated it to the high water temp for 30-45 minutes that they would do alot better.

Maybe worth a try.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
A. Falcatus - red tail cuda, will grow at a much faster rate than the Rhaph. I've had a few in the past - grew to about 8-9". They can be nippy in confined spaces however they really can't tolerate being nipped so a mid - size is needed like 75gal and up. The are also sensetive to poor water conditions - over filtration, current, frequent water changes, and good surface aggitation. As juvies they like live foods however as adults I've had no issues switching them to silverslides. Once again confined spaces can be a real issue with larger predators.

Industrial

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Otherone;4198810; said:
A. Falcatus - red tail cuda, will grow at a much faster rate than the Rhaph. I've had a few in the past - grew to about 8-9". They can be nippy in confined spaces however they really can't tolerate being nipped so a mid - size is needed like 75gal and up. The are also sensetive to poor water conditions - over filtration, current, frequent water changes, and good surface aggitation. As juvies they like live foods however as adults I've had no issues switching them to silverslides. Once again confined spaces can be a real issue with larger predators.
I was worried about aggression towards him from the raph. The raph would often try to eat rosys the scomb was going to eat and sometimes it would push the scomb around. I think it was a mix of the raph being kept by himself for so long, and he was slightly intimidated by the larger scomb. He does not mind the barracuda at all and they are hanging out right next to eachother.

I am trying to slightly upgrade the tanks each time, because raphs can be claustrophobic and I am thinking if they aren't used to small tanks they can become claustrophobic a lot faster. Mine was fine in a 20 up until about 5 1/2". Now he is trying to swim through the glass and stuff, and now I know he really needs an upgrade. I am thinking after he gets uncomfortable in the 40br (Guessing at around 8-9") I will put them in a 75 and then a 120 or 180 if possible. If he lives this long and gets too big for that, he may end up in a heated pond. By this time, I would like to have 5-6 barracuda.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store