New gar!

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
bahamaqt00;3898045; said:
Yes the 400 is just a little over 2ft wide. That sure is a monster armatus. All I am saying is that MY arowanas and MY gar are doing just fine together. I dont see any signs of stress, no running into walls, no one getting spooked, no fighting over food. If I saw any sign of these things, I would seperate them. I am really sick and tired of people saying "absolutely no way is this going to work blah blah blah" when they probably tried it once and it didn't work for them. Oh and your cubans are awesome. I have never seen one in real life, do you live in the US?
no i'm in singapore.;) thanks. u should also ask yrself, how long have u kept your aro with the gars? has it been a substantial amount of time? enough to safely tell someone else it's okay? just as much as lots of ppl say no way it's gonna work, a lot of people also shoot false info saying gar are good tankmates with aggressive cichlids, or plecos. as far as silver aros go, there have been many stories of both success and failure. what's probably more important than the stories is to seriously consider advise given from reliable members, those who have years and years of experience with these fish. also to consider if you are willing to run the risk of the gar sustaining an injury. remember that a rough aggregation of succes rates can only predict your overall chances for success, but in no way does it predict your chances for success from a day to day basis. whichever route you go by, i hope you post responsibly in future with regards to how successful a combo you have. good luck anyways

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander;3898142; said:
no i'm in singapore.;) thanks. u should also ask yrself, how long have u kept your aro with the gars? has it been a substantial amount of time? enough to safely tell someone else it's okay? just as much as lots of ppl say no way it's gonna work, a lot of people also shoot false info saying gar are good tankmates with aggressive cichlids, or plecos. as far as silver aros go, there have been many stories of both success and failure. what's probably more important than the stories is to seriously consider advise given from reliable members, those who have years and years of experience with these fish. also to consider if you are willing to run the risk of the gar sustaining an injury. remember that a rough aggregation of succes rates can only predict your overall chances for success, but in no way does it predict your chances for success from a day to day basis. whichever route you go by, i hope you post responsibly in future with regards to how successful a combo you have. good luck anyways
well said.--
--solomon

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
Hmm I don't recall ever telling anyone that it was okay for gars to be with aros. Im not one to give advice on something I don't know too much about. All I really do is share my personal experiences and say what has worked and not worked for ME. Im definitely not saying that they are great tankmates, because I know in most cases their not. I would love to have a tank specifically for gars but in a 1 bedroom apartment I can't really fit another large tank in hehe. I hope I will be added to the list of successes! Thanks for the input!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
bahamaqt00;3899091; said:
Hmm I don't recall ever telling anyone that it was okay for gars to be with aros. Im not one to give advice on something I don't know too much about. All I really do is share my personal experiences and say what has worked and not worked for ME. Im definitely not saying that they are great tankmates, because I know in most cases their not. I would love to have a tank specifically for gars but in a 1 bedroom apartment I can't really fit another large tank in hehe. I hope I will be added to the list of successes! Thanks for the input!
don't worry, i don't think he was implying that you were giving people false info...was just speaking generally to the overall topic of fish care advise and the grain(s) of salt to take with it.

i've kept arows and gars together with success in the past, but i've since moved to keeping mainly just gars together (with a lungfish or bichir here and there). i don't recommend the combo to people in most cases, but i don't say it's not possible for it to work. that combo is one of those that's hit or miss, with a much higher success rate and lower risk rate than say, keeping gars with plecos, where the risk is much higher.

good luck--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store