New goonch…. Risky?

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Of course everyone knows of this infamous catfish. Jeremy wade caught it, one almost the length of his body. Do I see it often in the hobby? Not quite. Meet my new goonch, bagarius. Lica ( B. Indochina and B. Yarelli now categorised under one).
Of course, this fish would not be with me long term as I know how large they get. Currently mine is around 11–12” in length (including its long whiptail). Since I’m in army now and not studying, I thought it would be a good time to grow one out, document about it and share my experience with it before selling it when it gets too large for my tank. Good way to earn some money as well, no?

why do I say it’s risky? Goonches are known to randomly die out of the blue for no apparent reason, one day perfectly fine and eating, and the next, dead as a dodo. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter (the catfish guy of mfk) doesn’t even own one due to the high risk of keeping one. Similar to Hydrolycus scomberoides, it is said they rarely reach over 2 years. Or, 24” in length in aquaria.

I know this from first experience as this isn’t my first goonch either. Last year I had purchased one, within the week it had died mysteriously without eating. The reason I’m only willing to post this now, is this newest goonch ( my second one) finally started eating this week, so off to a great start. First pic, shows its full, fat stomach. I’m hoping this guy is able to survive in my tank, so I can give more information on this little known fish on mfk. Cheers!

IMG_0029.jpeg

IMG_0269.jpeg

IMG_3632.jpeg

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Congrats on the new pick up. I got an albino Yarrelli from Wes about 6 months ago. I've heard the rumors as well about sudden inexplicable death. It's hard to tell how true that perception is since some people don't update and others rehome and I don't think a lot of people are trying to keep them, but I could be wrong as I'm rarely online here as of late.

I personally have had issue keeping them, but it was my error. Sometimes water issues another time a bad tankmate choice. At one time Hydrolycu Armatus were considered hard to keep but I believe that perspective has changed. I know I never had issues keeping Armatus back when they were considered to be susceptible to sudden death.

Mine currently eats shrimp stuffed with pellets and on occasion Ken Meat wafers. Current tankmates are Pied Florida Gar, Red Dovii, 2 Trachycorystes, 2 Rhinodoras Dorbignyi, Cranoglanis mutiradiatus, Hemibagrus filamentus, Platydoras sp. 'maroni', Tachysurus ussuriensis and a Platinum? Redtail/Tiger hybrid.
The Albino Yarrelli was eating from tongs but has started also grabbing shrimp and pellets at the water surface. Only aggression I've observed is when a fish invades his immediate space. Otherwise, he's a very chill fish/rock as if he's not eating, he's just sitting in front of the powerheads.

How bout you? What's your guy eating? And is the Gar his only tankmate?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Of course everyone knows of this infamous catfish. Jeremy wade caught it, one almost the length of his body. Do I see it often in the hobby? Not quite. Meet my new goonch, bagarius. Lica ( B. Indochina and B. Yarelli now categorised under one).
Of course, this fish would not be with me long term as I know how large they get. Currently mine is around 11–12” in length (including its long whiptail). Since I’m in army now and not studying, I thought it would be a good time to grow one out, document about it and share my experience with it before selling it when it gets too large for my tank. Good way to earn some money as well, no?

why do I say it’s risky? Goonches are known to randomly die out of the blue for no apparent reason, one day perfectly fine and eating, and the next, dead as a dodo. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter (the catfish guy of mfk) doesn’t even own one due to the high risk of keeping one. Similar to Hydrolycus scomberoides, it is said they rarely reach over 2 years. Or, 24” in length in aquaria.

I know this from first experience as this isn’t my first goonch either. Last year I had purchased one, within the week it had died mysteriously without eating. The reason I’m only willing to post this now, is this newest goonch ( my second one) finally started eating this week, so off to a great start. First pic, shows its full, fat stomach. I’m hoping this guy is able to survive in my tank, so I can give more information on this little known fish on mfk. Cheers!

View attachment 1537123

View attachment 1537124

View attachment 1537125
Feeding shouldn’t be too much of a problem. What you need to watch out for is oxygen levels. If I were to guess, I would put money on at least 75% of all Goonch lost have been down to low oxygen levels.
All the very best, keep us informed how you go.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Feeding shouldn’t be too much of a problem. What you need to watch out for is oxygen levels. If I were to guess, I would put money on at least 75% of all Goonch lost have been down to low oxygen levels.
I agree with Fishman Dave on both his points. Feeding has never been one of the issues I've had with any Bagarius with the exception of getting food to them as IME it has to get close to the immediate vicinity of their mouths. My current Albino Yarrelli is an exception. I also agree on trying to maintain their tank with a high oxygen content. My current setup has 3 powerheads, two HOB's plus an FX creating a lot of flow and surface agitation to maximize oxygen exchange and keep dissolved oxygen at hopefully optimal levels.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Congrats on the new pick up. I got an albino Yarrelli from Wes about 6 months ago. I've heard the rumors as well about sudden inexplicable death. It's hard to tell how true that perception is since some people don't update and others rehome and I don't think a lot of people are trying to keep them, but I could be wrong as I'm rarely online here as of late.

I personally have had issue keeping them, but it was my error. Sometimes water issues another time a bad tankmate choice. At one time Hydrolycu Armatus were considered hard to keep but I believe that perspective has changed. I know I never had issues keeping Armatus back when they were considered to be susceptible to sudden death.

Mine currently eats shrimp stuffed with pellets and on occasion Ken Meat wafers. Current tankmates are Pied Florida Gar, Red Dovii, 2 Trachycorystes, 2 Rhinodoras Dorbignyi, Cranoglanis mutiradiatus, Hemibagrus filamentus, Platydoras sp. 'maroni', Tachysurus ussuriensis and a Platinum? Redtail/Tiger hybrid.
The Albino Yarrelli was eating from tongs but has started also grabbing shrimp and pellets at the water surface. Only aggression I've observed is when a fish invades his immediate space. Otherwise, he's a very chill fish/rock as if he's not eating, he's just sitting in front of the powerheads.

How bout you? What's your guy eating? And is the Gar his only tankmate?
Same, mine just chills in front of the powerhead most of the time where the current is strongest. For now I’m feeding him shrimp and squid, eats like a champ. Saw him prey on some feeders as well. I haven’t tried other alternatives yet, but I’m sure he Would quickly hook into pellets.
most of the tankmates he has are larger sized bichirs ranging from 22-26” long, since they don’t move much as well he isn’t really bothered by them.
Just to correct, I was talking about the hydrolycus scomberoides, not the armatus. Scomberoides are known to only grow 12” average in aquaria with a lifespan of maximum 2 years in captivity for some weird reason with no explanation before dying suddenly.

IMG_0285.jpeg

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Same, mine just chills in front of the powerhead most of the time where the current is strongest. For now I’m feeding him shrimp and squid, eats like a champ. Saw him prey on some feeders as well. I haven’t tried other alternatives yet, but I’m sure he Would quickly hook into pellets.
most of the tankmates he has are larger sized bichirs ranging from 22-26” long, since they don’t move much as well he isn’t really bothered by them.
Just to correct, I was talking about the hydrolycus scomberoides, not the armatus. Scomberoides are known to only grow 12” average in aquaria with a lifespan of maximum 2 years in captivity for some weird reason with no explanation before dying suddenly.
Cool, I'm glad to hear he's pounding food and he's got a variety as well. Yeah, I think the Bichirs should be decent tankmates. Neither IME are too quick to zero in on food giving the Goonch time to get to it. The cats I have go beast mode so I have to feed the Goonch first. A knock on the canopy he comes up and gets tong fed. Then if he hasn't had his fill he'll compete with the other cats, poorly though. He's plenty fast but just doesn't seem to be able to home in on the food as fast as everyone else.

I know you were speaking of Scombs, my apologies for the confusion. I was just trying to point out that the same was said of Armatus and as far as I know that perception is no longer the case. While with Scombs it is still the case. Scombs though IME aren't available as often as the other Hydrolycus. So again I think that perception maybe skewed by limited experience with the species in the hobby. Currently I believe Armatus are considered the most hardy than Tat and the Scombs which by far are the worst as you said purported to ony make 1-2 years of age. Not to derail but an awesome Cynodontinae that I haven't seen in forever is Rhaphiodon vulpinus. Last time I saw them was when TFD was still in business. I had one, stupidly mixed with a puffer and soon had a Vulpinus with no face.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
IME the original “bagarius bagarius” true highland giants were the temperamental ones. They were wild caught from cold water in india. Any high temps, low oxygen and nitrates were an instant death sentence. These “new” goonch are diff species and have different requirements. They seem to be more warm water tolarent and also seem to thrive in captivity compared to the HLG. The Lica like u have ive seen to over 30”. Indochina and rutilius are also doing well in captivity. I wouldn’t be worried for an instant or sudden death with these guys under proper/normal husbandry. Find it hard to believe there not being farm raised/produced now with the influx of so many albinos lately. Good news really for the ease of keeping one alive long term. Great pickup 💀🤙 Lica looks the best to me these days. Hope he does well for u.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I'e had mine over 18 months now, he was bought as a dwarf goonch but I believe from previous posts on here he is a Lica. Ace fish I love the look of mine even though I hardly see it move. I find they eat when they are hungry. I put food in for mine but he tends to take it every few days
My tanks at 28 degrees as I have rays but I do have strong flow and surfacr movement two air bubble discs and a fluidised K1 bed which I believe oxygenates the water going in to the tank

I'm a Payara keeper currently with Tatt and Armatus, I found Scombs the easiest to feed and keep ace fish they are and I had mine just over 2 years until it was torn to shreds by my tiger fish when I had tank issues and had to move it in with bigger fish. I was talking to a guy recently who had had his scombs for 13 years!

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Photo I saw on Facebook from a Singapore based bichir group. Similar to me, he keeps goonch with bichirs as well, just his tank is much more stocked than mine. really envy his collection though. Water is dirty as he is doing a feeding video here. There is only one small wavemaker at the surface of the aquarium. I would estimate the goonch to be around 15-20” in length?
To me, there doesn’t seem to have a high concentration of oxygen, but the goonch was happily gorging itself with food in the video. Could it be that goonch sudden deaths are not oxygen related? Just a hypothesis 💡

IMG_1093.png

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store