New goonch…. Risky?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
No one knows for sure it's just a hypothesis based on the natural habitat of alot of Goonch. They don't come from the typical water systems many of the fish kept in the hobby. Goonch live in extremely fast flowing river systems where the water is highly oxygenated and very clean(exceptionally low levels of toxins etc found in slower moving water). Since this is one of the major differences between the water systems of the fish we most commonly keep and where Goonch are found it is assumed by many to be one of the most important factors in keeping Goonch successfully.

For instance, one of the primary reasons coldwater fish can't be kept in tropical temperatures is due to the low level of dissolved oxygen in tropical water. So, while some may survive in such temperatures it isn't ideal and puts a lot of strain on the coldwater fish's anatomy. Causing some to perish outright and others to have shortened lifespans. The same logic was/is applied by some to the difficulty in keeping Goonch. That since Goonch naturally come from oxygen rich water with lots of dissolved oxygen it would be this that might be a primary reason for issues keeping them.

As for the pic of the video there are many things to consider. We don't know how long he's had the Goonch and if he maintains his tank the same way during feedings(as it's seems the fish are being fed) as he does in general. I personally turn off all my powerheads and HOB's only leaving on the Canister during feedings. We don't know if the same is occurring in the pic. We also don't know his water change routine, the tank size(it looks small to me, but I could be wrong) his filtration, tank temperature etc, etc. All these things missing greatly reduces our ability to accurately gauge what's happening. We don't know he may go through fish often. I've met many in the hobby who have no issue losing a fish and replacing it. It's impossible to draw conclusions when info. is at a minimum and based on one tank and only one instance in that aquariums life.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Really interesting hunting behaviour. Perching vertically upwards in order to reach for the mollies. Even swims up the the surface to snatch a bite. Thought he would stay at the bottom and wait for prey to ambush, but becoming more accustomed to the aquarium he’s starting to actively chase after them. I wonder if they do that in the wild as well.

IMG_2232.jpeg

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
my RTC also perches vertically whenever i feed dried, floating shrimps to my cichlid, Eventhough it always gets its share of food, he wants to steal it from them anyways.
maybe if the mollies are staying near the surface, then the goonch must be adapting to hunting them there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store