New Hoplias Malabaricus got some tips and advice?

canadianforever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ontario
got a 6" Malabaricus about a week ago currently in a 40 breeder with some live plants and lots of driftwood seems to hide 90% of the time still anyone have some tips or advice on these guys ive heard you can keep them with some fast fish bigger then their mouth such as silver dollars and such also heard you can keep them with Bichirs that are close to the same size. Also does anyone know an average growth rate for these guys?

I wanted an amira but decided to settle with this guy for now lol

dmcskoolkid

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
MD
What have you planned for its diet? Mine has put on maybe an inch and gotten thicker with tilapia and shrimp. I keep him with bichirs.

canadianforever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ontario
right now he is accepting frozen prawn and krill as well as the odd convict i toss in (home bred) he also will take hakari gold cichlid pellets and Big Fella Monster pellets

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Will grow about an 1inch per month till about 12-14inches. After that it slows down.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They like calm water. No current.

alecrromine

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2015
Kentucky
The best advice I can give is to keep a lid on your tank and put weight on top of it. Satan (my mala) hated my dog some reason reason, and would try to come out the tank at him. Not sure why he was such a jumper. The first time he jumped out (with the lid closed) I had left for 45 minutes and came home and he jumped out, landed in the small garbage can, tipped it over and made it about 13' on the ground. Aside from some rug burn he was fine. After that a couple of bricks went on the lid.

He ended up dying from a disease (i think columnaris) that he got from a feeder. I've also read that farm raised tilapia provides very little nutritional value, not sure if there's any truth in that statement, and I can't find the article anymore. Good luck, and enjoy.those are very cool fish.I want another wolf someday

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store