New Latin names for Asian Aros

dovii88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
rhode island of course
no matter wat they still are gorgeous fish and i wish that they were legal in the statess..i hate the government and imortation...

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
guys, i checked out the link and im confused, theyve got S. aureus for the gold and S. formosus for the malayan arowana. but guys, the malayan and the gold are one and the same!? so does this mean aureus is for the RTG, while formosus is for the green and the x-back? it would make sense coz the x-back and the green has more or less the same characteristics except the scale colors

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
kriztu said:
guys, i checked out the link and im confused, theyve got S. aureus for the gold and S. formosus for the malayan arowana. but guys, the malayan and the gold are one and the same!? so does this mean aureus is for the RTG, while formosus is for the green and the x-back? it would make sense coz the x-back and the green has more or less the same characteristics except the scale colors
that's why i'm puzzled too.

kriztu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Dubai UAE
yes, i think thats it. aureus is for the red-tail gold arowana and formosus is for the x-back and the green

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
kriztu said:
yes, i think thats it. aureus is for the red-tail gold arowana and formosus is for the x-back and the green
Based on everything I have found on this topic... Those are the same conclusions I came too.

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
WyldFya said:
Based on everything I have found on this topic... Those are the same conclusions I came too.
Same here. The Pouyard, Sudarto, Teugels article specifically lists only RTG as S. aureus, Super Reds as S. legendrei, and "silver" varieties including those w/ yellow or grey tails as S. macrocephalus. By default, all other Asian arows would remain as S. formosus.

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
icthyophile said:
Same here. The Pouyard, Sudarto, Teugels article specifically lists only RTG as S. aureus, Super Reds as S. legendrei, and "silver" varieties including those w/ yellow or grey tails as S. macrocephalus. By default, all other Asian arows would remain as S. formosus.
The silver varieties could be refering to the Yellow Tail and Banjar Reds that we often talk about in asia.

I'm not too sure too but IMHO the reference site should have pictures to support their findings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store