new law trying to pass HR 996

flip4EvR45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2013
U.S.A
any new info on what's happening with this law? Seriously, if they pass this, I'm going to be pissed. I'm not in America right now, but I plan on going back, and if this gets passed...God damned wildlife societies. I know they're trying to do the right thing, but COME ON!

Keleborn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Lubbock, TX
No sense me contacting my Texas representatives --- if it puts normal people out of work, they're all for it, especially when they can stand on the "letter-of-the-law" that they're "protecting our native species".

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
hahaha it has a 5% chance of being passed. this would hurt the industry that is our hobby and put many people in the US out of work and the native people who help people like us collect fish from the wild. i doubt considering that it will be passed, it is too wide in scope and they need more research on what can become invasive where. a program using indoor ponds (to prevent escape from flooding) w/ full native ecosystem where questionable fish are introduced (im sure Hoplias wolf fish will be one of those) to see if they do make a mark on the local eco. This would be much better at a state vs federal level in that aspect. as there are already bans on things like stingrays in fla, and gars in cali, the same thing should be done nationwide, instead of a generalized bill like this. I know none of the fish i keep would survive a great lakes winter.

flip4EvR45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2013
U.S.A
Agreed. My opinionmay be a bit different in some ways though. I think each state should have itsown rules for that. Each states environment is different. If I decided to keepFW stingrays in, let's say Alaska, there's no way they would survive. So whyban them there? Or if I released them in Nevada. They wouldn't survive theheat! So why ban them in those places? Ban the states where people arereleasing them, AND the environments good for them to sustain themselves foryears.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store