New Marbled Cray tank :)

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
Definately, will keep a pic log as I go. Probably start it up this weekend. I think I got at least 16 babies in the 2.5g at the moment, so I can do 2 per container. I decided to go with some mostly transperant 1 gallon sterilite containers rather than jars. They measure somewhere around 6"Wx12"Lx4"T. More floor space for them to walk around is better than just a 1 gallon jar with a bunch of vertical space they'll never use. Plus the containers are stackable. ;) Just need to drill a small hole big enough for an air line in each one.

Don't even think I will need to filter their water. Really, the babies are so small that I don't think there will be much in the way of waste created to produce much ammonia. I'll only be feeding what they can eat (which is like a few flake particles per day) and removing any uneaten excess and vaccing out any detritus that I can see. Beneficial Bacteria that forms in the sand substrate should be plenty to keep the Ammonia and Nitrite down. With a 25% weekly water change in each container I bet Nitrates don't ever get above 5 ppm. I was going to add some Java Moss to each container as well just to eat up the small amount of Nitrates produced, but I'm not sure if they would affect the water hardness at all so I think I'm skippng that.

I think there are more factors that can affect color than just water hardness though. Of my 7 adult crays that have been together in the same tank with the same water hardness and PH since the beginning, I have 3 standard brown ones, 2 really reddish ones, one thats blue-green, and one super blue one. Only thing that could really vary between each one is diet I think. Like if one chooses to eat more flake food than another, or one likes the lobster bites but the others don't. For the experiment, all will be fed exclusively on Lobster Bites I think, just to keep things even. Maybe a weekly bloodworm treat or something.

Anyway, will be buffering the GH with Epsom Salt (I think, or maybe it was Baking Soda, will have to double-check that), and raising KH with Kent's Liquid Calcium. I'll be testing some night this week how much of each is needed to reach a target GH/KH of 50ppm in one quart of water. With that I just need to multiply those amounts to reach the set levels I need in each container. I'll water change one quart at a time so that makes re-dosing easier. Should be fun. :)

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
HAHAHAHA! i love those baby pics!! i don't know what changed but i can see them now.

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
I need more water hardness test strips. ;) Only had 6 left tonight when I began.

I started out with just 4 quarts of distilled water. Test confirmed it is at 0 GH/KH.

I added 1 tsp epsom salts to the water. Test showed GH off the chart. test strip ranged from 0 PPM (yellowish-green) to 300 ppm, which was supposed to be orangish-red. The strip showed blood red. heh. By my guess it was 600 ppm or higher.

I poured half the water out and replaced it with just distilled water (effectively 1/2 tsp epsom salt). New Test and still blood red. Wow, 1 tsp must have been liquid rock.

I poured it all out and started fresh with just 1/8 tsp of epsom salt in 1 quart. New Test and still blood red. Holy crap.

Replaced half with just distilled and it was a lighter red, so getting closer to the 300 ppm I think. That's effectively 1/16 tsp. Guaging how much is needed for 50 ppm, 100 ppm, etc is gonna be a pain. Going to see if I can find a digital GH tester somewhere this week. Or at least a liquid test if they exist. Test strips can be a pain.

I think 5ml of Liquid Calcium will get me to around 50-100 KH. I only had 1 strip left and I just wanted to see what 5ml looked like and it read in the 50-100 range. So that will probably be easier to work with. Need some more testing to confirm though. Will see if I can find a digital test for KH too. I'd rather not be estimating things on an experiment like this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store