new Pseudoplatystoma corruscans!!

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
the corruscans were imported from aquamonsters Taiwan and I bought it from a reputable local vendor, I guess only time will tell what it is, I will post more pics as they grow, so stay tune :)
here more pics, have a look at these pics, one of them is a tsn, and they are all at around the same size.

IMG_00001513.jpg

IMG_00001514.jpg

IMG_00001511.jpg

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
at this moment I am not sure either, it may be collected from different river, but I really have no clue atm, got to wait till it grows much bigger then I will see whether the stripes will disappear or not. If it turns out to be tsn then I can always the seller to replace the fish or other compensations.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
100% Recticulatum imo, thanks for more pics...mine looked just like that at 14-18". No need to wait for the stripes to disapear. They simply wouldnt not be there already if it was Corruscans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
100% Recticulatum imo, thanks for more pics...mine looked just like that at 14-18". No need to wait for the stripes to disapear. They simply wouldnt not be there already if it was Corruscans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I agree, even as juvi there should be no stripes. Did you see the pic of the juvi I posted? It has all spots, no stripes

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
has anyone here ever own this fish in your tank as a juvie?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
ATM, I am convinced they are never, perhaps barring the rarest of accidents, imported into the US and EU.

Perhaps, the few that we have seen (IIRC Enrico from Germany has one) were a special order, which, again, is tricky because relying on the locals who catch them for the ID is not a good way to go. Those TSNs look so similar when young and the local fishermen and the catchers of fish for ornamental trade are not educated in the fine things of the ID process and often are simply uneducated. They know how to catch a fish for food. The exporters are most often too. From there, the ignorance propagates all the way to the end consumer.

As stated before, all we see in the US and EU are fasciatum by far and large (perhaps, in a big part because it is farmed... to make the fasciatum x RTC hybrid), rarely tigrinum, and even more rare reticulatum.

Wednesday, Necro, and Arapaimag (and BigRich and Ted from anythingfish?) are the three I'd heed on this topic but I am sure there are others.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store