New Record Breaking Alligator Gar Catch

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
thanks for sharing the post! i had not yet heard about this, but am glad someone could share the news with all of us (immediately posted to facebook too of course :)).

see? this is how big everyone's gator gar is going to get who keeps them in captivity...:p

jlnguyen74;4895463; said:
A fish that size is a potential danger/hazard to the public! It lives long enough to reach that size.. It must go for other fish in that lake to grow
absolutely ridiculous in both statements. gator gars don't intentionally attack humans (this has been demonstrated on several accounts - Madding referenced the river monsters episode; some of us have also seen this in person with big gators) AND the removal of the fish for others to grow is almost equally as ludicrous. not going to waste more time on that response, but it was entertaining.

Oscarum monstruoso;4895549; said:
How do gar keepers feel about fishing threads posted here? Im of the opinion that fishing is the opposite of fishkeeping and belongs on the fishing forum.
i think those of us in the gar forum enjoying seeing new news about gars reGARdless of the form...fish hobby, scientific research, fishing, etc. i think we take pride in being fans of some of the largest freshwater fishes, so hearing about big specimens is of interest no matter what the source. i can see how a fishing thread may upset people in the minnow/cichlid/tetra forums though :) --
--solomon

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
E_americanus;4895579; said:
i think those of us in the gar forum enjoying seeing new news about gars reGARdless of the form...fish hobby, scientific research, fishing, etc. i think we take pride in being fans of some of the largest freshwater fishes, so hearing about big specimens is of interest no matter what the source. i can see how a fishing thread may upset people in the minnow/cichlid/tetra forums though :) --
--solomon
Fair enough, it just makes it hard to avoid similar threads. Someone posted a mids thread recently and when I opened it there was a picture of a torn up dead midas that someone had caught, it made me ill. I know people think of it as a hoby but they shouldnt force it on others who find it demented.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
It really pisses me off when people just kill something for no reason except for bragging rights. Idiots. That was a real old fish

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Oscarum monstruoso;4895582; said:
Fair enough, it just makes it hard to avoid similar threads. Someone posted a mids thread recently and when I opened it there was a picture of a torn up dead midas that someone had caught, it made me ill. I know people think of it as a hoby but they shouldnt force it on others who find it demented.
to each their own as far as opinions, but the facts of the matter with gars is that much of what we know comes from fishing data...and a lot of research is based on sacrificing the fish. i think we hold a pretty high standard in this subforum as far as information sharing, promoting, and propagation of knowledge about these fishes (we've posted our share of "gross" pictures having to do with gar research).

if the thread says "record-breaking gar caught" we all expect to see a big dead fish around here (if you don't want to see it, don't open the thread). we don't all enjoy seeing it, but it is news of note and importance; and the fact that it will go to a museum means the fish will be well-analyzed for further information about the species.

i also wish the fish were still alive, but there's nothing that can be done about that now (or gained from complaining about it). moving forward, at least the fish will contribute to the growing body of knowledge about the species--
--solomon

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
MonsterMinis;4895547; said:
madding i think Sol and Pej mentioned captive gars attacking.. but i would have to agree in general.. most "wild" animals that don't see humans as sources of food. Tend to avoid us.. only the ones we "domesticate" do we tend to really have issues with. no doubt a hungry gar that size.. given the opportunity would seize it... But imo they liekly aren't ant worse 'n the monsters peopel have made wolves out to be. accidents happen as do "wrong place at the wrong time." but I doubt gators would actively hunt humans.
As for the captivity bit, I'm sure that was just food association on an eager gars part. I haven't read Richard's story in a couple years though-

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Madding;4895600; said:
As for the captivity bit, I'm sure that was just food association on an eager gars part. I haven't read Richard's story in a couple years though-
yeah, with my fish it was just food association and stupid people sticking their hands into tanks (usually at parties)...they were tagged appropriately by the gars (luckily no one did the same with the lungfish tank).

they do take swipes at us in the field, but that is just defensive posturing (have been tagged only once, but those wild spotteds have some serious teeth!)

richard has more info on the big gator they had at belle isle...she was a bit more aggressive, but again, wild gators (in the wild) don't attack humans intentionally - IF it were to happen it would be a mistaken identity situation (like what happened with a muskie a few years back) --
--solomon

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Not to completely derail this thread, but I once witnessed somebodies toe get bit by a walleye, to the extent that they were able to get the fish out of the water (Sacanadaga Lake, New York). I won't ever forget that, haha.

waynes world

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
North Manchester UK
I ahve said some daft things as most people have at times but to say that about a FISH is just dam ignorant and stupid IMO, and others aswell.

What right has anyone got to kill a fish, or any animal for that fact just for the sport, i fish, or did and always let them go, morso the big fish i caught, we need the big fish to keep the system going, without large fish/animals we dont get the small ones:screwy:

It even peees me off when they kill crocs because they have hurt eaten a person, christ they were here first us humans should give more respect to animals.

Going to leave this at that.....just gets my goat going:irked:

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
waynes world;4895683; said:
I ahve said some daft things as most people have at times but to say that about a FISH is just dam ignorant and stupid IMO, and others aswell.

What right has anyone got to kill a fish, or any animal for that fact just for the sport, i fish, or did and always let them go, morso the big fish i caught, we need the big fish to keep the system going, without large fish/animals we dont get the small ones:screwy:

It even peees me off when they kill crocs because they have hurt eaten a person, christ they were here first us humans should give more respect to animals.

Going to leave this at that.....just gets my goat going:irked:
I think if something eats a person and you are nearby, responsible for the animal or anything else, then you have some sort of duty to your race... you do realize you said 'eaten', right? :)

If I saw someone being consumed alive by any animal I am pretty sure I would try to kill it (unless it was an escaped dinosaur from Jurassic Park, in which case I'd run).

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
jsodwi;4895584; said:
It really pisses me off when people just kill something for no reason except for bragging rights. Idiots. That was a real old fish
Its good for gar.....

The sooner they are recognised as a proper game fish the sooner they get the protection they deserve. Currently there are tons of people.that view gar as junk fish. Many tape thier mouths shut and throw them back or in some other way kill them. If some big old fish need taken to establish them as a game fish then so be it. Nesecarry sacrifise.

Spelling sucks.... Stupid phone!!!

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store